Chapter 27

I felt restless and crept to listen in Xavier's room.  When I heard him snoring I smiled and skipped down the steps.  I could feel as wolves would wander in our direction then leave.  I huffed, I hated to be a prisoner in my own house.  I softly struck the keys to the piano and got lost in thought.

I turned when the door opened and my mom came in looking pissed.  "What is going on here?"

I looked out of the window.  "They won't stop... it's very unsettling."

She glared at the sentry outside.  "And him?"

I sighed.  "Ezekiel has them watching the house.  They've been sending the ones who wander over away."

She relaxed a fraction.  "For such a light scent, you are attracting a lot of suitors."

I frowned.  "I have no desire for such a thing."

She smiled softly.  "And for that I am grateful."

She sat beside me as I began to play again.  "Ezekiel wants us to stay over there for the Season.  Seems he is displeased with all the attention."

She blinked.  "And..."

I glanced at her.  "We declined, but like I said this is unsettling.  A man came... he is not from here and is dangerous from what I could tell."

She lowered her gaze.  "I'll speak with your uncle."

I nodded.  "I trust your decision, whatever it may be."

She listened for a bit.  "Have you gotten any sleep?"  I shook my head.  "Well... go get ready for school.  I'll make breakfast."

I nodded as she stood.  "Why did he put his jacket on me?"

She paused.  "What do you mean?"

I frowned.  "I feel like he's trying to make a statement, he did the same thing when I was playing around in the garden."

She hesitated.  "He very well could be, you should ask."  I gave her a long look.  "His scent is much stronger than yours so it could be just to mask it, but he also could be marking his territory."

I rolled my eyes.  "I feel it's the latter."

She smiled softly.  "I think it's both."

I sighed, finishing.  "I'm fine without either, thanks."

She chuckled.  "It's sweet."

I slowly turned to her.  "You were about to kill him yesterday, now it's sweet?"

She shrugged.  "He's trying to protect the most hard-headed girl I know."

I narrowed my eyes.  "You like him."

She shook her head.  "I like the effort he is putting in despite being rejected countless times at this point."

I scowled.  "Whatever..."  I paused when I got to my room and frowned, there was a note taped to my window.  "He has problems."  I opened it and pulled it in.

I balled it up when I read it.  "I will not."  I quickly showered and threw on clothes, then went to get my brother.  I shook him.  "Wake up or I'm leaving you."

He groaned.  "I'm skipping."

I smiled and hugged him.  "I'll skip with you."

He sat up.  "Nevermind."

I pouted.  "Let's skip... I don't wanna go."

He pushed me off of him into the floor.  "I'll be down in a few."

I hung my head.  "Fine..."

I slowly ate breakfast until he came down.  "Nice..."  He hurriedly ate and pulled me out of the door.  "Looks like it kept up all night."  I nodded and he glanced around as we walked.

It wasn't long before I felt him.  "Where's the jacket?"

I smiled sweetly.  "At home."

He groaned and pulled the one he had on off and put it on me.  I tried to take it back off.  "Stop being stubborn... I'll be back."

As soon as he ran off, I took it off and folded it over my arm.  "He's pushy today."

Xavier rolled his eyes.  "They back off when he is around, I know you feel it."

I frowned.  "I don't care, I will not wear his jacket all day.  I refuse."

He groaned.  "You'll be surrounded in school."

I huffed.  "And I'll kick all of their asses if necessary.  I don't want this."

He facepalmed and I heard a growl, making me turn.  Ezekiel stalked over.  "Do you want to get yourself in trouble, put it on."  I crossed my arms and shook my head.  "Look..."

He gestured behind and around us, we were surrounded.  "Some of them won't care that you are not interested or underaged.  Put it on."  I glared at him and shook my head.  "Fine..."  He took it, enraged.  "Don't say I didn't warn you."

He stalked off and Xavier whistled.  "He's pissed."

I smirked at him.  "I know."  I looped my arm through his and we walked until his friends stopped us per usual.  I posted on the wall, listening to music when a boy came up to me.

He started talking and I looked past him, not hearing anything he had to say.  He paused for a moment and started again.  I glanced at where my brother was still goofing around with his friends, when someone else came up.  I recognized this one from class.

They both held a lustful gleam in their eyes that disgusted both me and my wolf.  Their scents weren't pleasing on top of that which made them looming even more unpleasant.  I felt movement beside me and looked at Caleb.  "Make them leave.  I have no interest in even hearing what they have to say."

He smiled and told them, but rather than leaving they started talking down to him.  When one reached for me, I growled and glared at them both, which made them step back.  Caleb smirked and said something else to them and they exchanged a glance.

When they still didn't leave I stood up and met their eyes.  "Leave me alone."

They both blinked, but got the message and slowly walked away, glancing back every so often.  Caleb shook his head.  "Where is Ezekiel?"

I smiled.  "I made him mad, but I'm sure nearby."

He rolled his eyes.  "They won't bother you if-"

I shook my head.  "I won't be labeled as his.  I'll be fine."

He sighed.  "If you say so."

I started to walk towards our school and rolled my eyes at Xavier when he caught up.  "You really need to get a handle on your time management."

He smirked.  "I'll catch up."

I shook my head.  "Whatever..."

***

Okay, snapping her neck wasn't an option, but damn if locking her up wasn't.  She blatantly didn't care about her safety and refused to mask her scent even when we were surrounded.  I had to leave before I did something I would regret.  However, no matter how mad I was, I had to make sure she was safe.

I didn't move when she was approached and blatantly ignored the guy and the second that came up.  When Caleb slid in beside her I frowned, it should be me telling the guys to back off, but instead it was a pup.  Which was clearly not a deterrent as she casually looked at him to relay her messages, but they didn't budge.

It wasn't until they began to berate him that she glared at them and signed directly to them.  I don't know how she manages it, but even not understanding that backed off.  I felt at ease for now, but the real challenge would be in the high school, when she was surrounded.  I rubbed my face in frustration.  She's going to kill us both.