Chapter 10

To say I was watching their house would be an understatement, I kept checking in to see when she got back, and my heart leaped when I saw their uncle leaving as I walked up.  I quickly deflated when I heard their dad and her arguing.  I stopped to listen, though he was loud, and it sounded like he was trying to control her. Her voice was soft and controlled.

I could feel power and defiance, though it never got louder.  He started talking about them leaving, and I froze.  Again, she didn't raise her voice or start throwing a tantrum. She seemed calm.  She was standing her ground as I went to rip the door open, but was hit with a shock as she collided into me.  "Sorry..."

It was barely a whisper, like a soft wind in the trees, but it made my heart stop all the same.  I smiled, forgetting my anger. "She speaks..."

***

Our father frowned as we came back into the house.  "Thought I said no guests."

I immediately went on the defensive.  "Well, you tell him that because he clearly doesn't get it when we say it."

He stood.  "What did you do that he is so interested in hanging around?"

I flared my nostrils.  "Nothing so far as I know... again talk to him.  He's causing me a lot of undue trouble."

He crossed his arms.  "We may have to relocate after this weekend.  Again, because you couldn't stay under the radar."

Xavier gasped.  "It's not even anything she did!"  Our father turned his gaze to him, and he backed down, averting his gaze.  "I apologize..."

I clenched my fists.  "Do what you want... I'm staying."

He laughed scornfully.  "And how will you live?  On the streets?"

I met his gaze.  "I'll figure it out.  I'm tired of running from something I don't even understand. You won't explain.  I'm hiding from what?  I'm sick of it."

He came to stand over me, and I held my head high, not bending to his will.  "After you perform... we're leaving.  Now, go to your room."

I shook my head.  "I'll do you one better..."  I went back out of the house only to collide with somebody.  "Sorry..."

"She speaks..."

I blinked as I registered the tingling under my rage.  "What are you doing here?  Haven't you caused us enough trouble?"

"Xavier... don't speak to him that way."

He casually looked at our mother.  "Why?  He's the reason we're leaving, right?  Because he doesn't understand, he needs to stay away."

I looked at him sadly.  "It's okay... if I'm not here, you don't have to worry about leaving again.  I'll be okay."

His eyes widened.  "Sis, no..."

I felt tension all around me and looked up.  "You're kicking her out?"

I had to step back at his tone.  "No, and I mean you no offense since you are the future Alpha here, but it's none of your concern."

I gasped as I watched his skin ripple.  "Wha-"

I felt myself being pulled back.  "This is why she can't stay here... look at yourself."

Xander's words didn't register as Ezekiel stepped into the house.  For the first time, I was mildly afraid, but I stepped between them.  "Ezekiel... stop."  He paused and looked at me, blinking rapidly.  I took a slow step forward.  "You need to get yourself together... from whatever this is."

His eyes changed from a blood red to a burgundy.  "Your voice really does sound lovely..."

I sighed, relieved, and looked at Xavier.  "You need to go.  We'll see you tomorrow in school."

He looked between us at the sudden change.  "Why?"  He looked at my father, disgust in his features.  "She was just talking.  Why does she need to stop now?"

He pulled me behind him.  "Family matters. You should go."

I watched his face as it went from shock to rage to determination.  "I'll figure it out."  He looked at me.  "See you tomorrow." 

I nodded so he would leave and went to Xavier.  He hugged me.  "Don't go. Staying isn't worth it if you go."

I dropped my face into his shirt, tears falling.  "You don't understand...  I don't want to live like this anymore..."

I heard my mother sigh.  "Maybe... we can discuss this later.  Let's just get some rest."

***
I kept replaying her voice in my head.  Even when I was about to shift, she showed no fear. She didn't even raise it.  Still, her saying my name cut through the red, and as she continued, it was all I could focus on.

I frowned, remembering how after I calmed down, she went silent again.  It was infuriating, but then I realized I didn't want another guy to hear her voice and fall in love with it.  I lingered for a while after, making sure her dad didn't try to take her away in the night.  I sat in the tree and watched her as she went to writing in her notebook again.

She didn't speak, which is what I wanted, I figured she found little use for her voice since she could rarely use it.  It broke my heart, I couldn't imagine why she would have to live this way or how she could stand it.  I heard her sigh and look at the wall across from her.

She sat back, her silver hair flowing around her, even this was kept from the world.  It only served to make me sadder, but again, she was striking enough in the wig and contacts.  Did I really want guys gawking more of she didn't use them?  I shook my head as it started to hurt.  None of that mattered.  Right now, I needed to focus on getting her out of that house, making sure she stayed here where I could protect her.  After that, she could do whatever she pleased.

***

All I felt was relief. Friday couldn't have come soon enough as I rushed out of the building and waited by the gates for my boys.  A whole week of avoiding people and not being able to slip out of class had me on edge.  I jumped on Xavier's back and signed.  "Ice cream..."

He chuckled and tucked his arms under my legs.  "You've gotten smaller."  I shook my head.  "Ready for tomorrow."  I sighed.  "Toning it down sucks, huh?"

I swung my legs happily until I felt him nearby.  I prodded Xavier's side for him to hurry.  He nodded, understanding, and Caleb glanced around.  "Persistent..."

I shrugged and kept my focus forward.  "So... ice cream?"  I smiled and nodded at him.  "Sounds like a plan."