Chapter 25

My detest for her brother was growing.  Everytime I was getting somewhere he interrupted in some way, shape, or form.  Now I was being dragged to the fair after she was actually talking.  She wasted as many words as she did movements, answers were short and blunt, but it was further than I had gotten in the few months I'd known her.  Even then, still didn't have a name and was scolded yet again.

I thought back to the way she moved in the kitchen, she could cook, my mouth was watering so much I had to make sure I didn't drool.  As we walked I wanted to hold her hand, but she didn't take them out of her pockets.  For the first time, when all was quiet around us I noticed I couldn't hear her footfalls.

I baffled me, if she wasn't walking next to me, or her scent not assaulting my nostrils, I wouldn't have known she was there.  She glanced over at me and spoke softer than usual so I had to strain to hear.  "What's your question?"

I blinked.  "I can't hear you walking."

She smirked, didn't she know that only made me want to kiss her more?  "Easier to sneak around that way."  I was taken aback she practiced this, even with the leaves littering the ground her steps were soft and careful, not one was disturbed.  She made it look effortless.  She said she was made to be silent, to be invisible, now I knew she used that to every advantage she could.

***

I scrunched my nose when we entered and Ezekiel looked at me curiously.  "What's wrong?"

I signed.  "Hormones..."

He tilted his head.  "Don't know that one..."  I rolled my eyes and spelled it out for him.  "It really bothers you?"

I side-eyed him.  "It's nauseating..."

"I don't think I've heard anyone say that before."

I tilted my head trying to sense my twin.  When I felt him I made a beeline for him.  He didn't bother to turn when we approached.  "Took you long enough."

I looked at Caleb.  "Why am I here?"

He shrugged.  "Why is he here?"

I frowned.  "He has this thing about following me around."  I pushed Xavier.  "What the fuck?"

He sighed.  "Just didn't feel right."

I rolled my eyes.  "I love you too weirdo."

He smiled and jumped up.  "I already know what you'll like."  I let him drag me to the first ride and he frowned at Ezekiel.  "Don't you have friends or something?"

He blinked surprised.  "Well I did want her to be my date and she refused... this is about as close as I'm going to get."

I sighed and glanced around, now ignoring them both.  As people began to gather around us so did the smell.  I pursed my lips.  "Why is this thing planned during the Season?"

Caleb tilted his head.  "People hope to find their mates or partners at least."

I shook my head.  "Are people so desperate that they plan events around this thing?  Sad."

Caleb chuckled.  "Just cause you have an aversion to getting hitched doesn't mean everyone else does."  I sighed and we got on.

As we began to ascend I noticed Ezekiel staring.  "Can I help you?"

He averted his gaze.  "Nothing..."

We started to spin and I watched as everyone laughed and screamed, amused, a slight smile playing on my lips.  As we got off we went on others until Xavier heard some music.  I groaned as he dragged me towards the sound.  "Oh come on, you're good at it."