Love Hate

Scott's POV

I'm so confused. Mitch is my best friend, but it's been a very awkward and emotional rollar coaster. Mitch and I dated and broke up at least three times, and we always go back to being friends afterwards, and then maybe two weeks later, we date again. Our friendship gets more and more awkward every time we go through this cycle. I want this cycle to stop, but I have no idea if, in the end, I want to be with him or not. I can't help but think about it every time I see Mitch, always having a smile on his face and a happiness in his voice, whether we're together or not. I always keep a happy face when I'm near him, but my mind is all over the place.

I need to talk to him, and soon. I need to get my head straight. I don't want us to be awkward anymore! I want us to be like we used to be before all this, just two best friends that laughed and hung out together, and nothing more, nothing less.

Mitch entered as I was watching Family Guy, and sat down beside me.

"Hey Stephanie!" He said excitedly, first looking at me, then focusing on the TV.

"Hey there Stella." I replied, only glancing at him from the corner of my eye. I took this oppertunity to turn down the volume on the TV and face him. "Look, Mitch, we need to talk."

"About what?" He studied my eyes curiously, and I glanced at the coffee table.

"Us." I hesitated before I continued, "We have been doing this for months! Getting together, fighting, breaking up, awkward friendship, and the cycle just repeats! My head is all over the place. I want this to stop, but I have no idea whether I want to be with you in the end or not!! I'm so confused, I want to get off this rollar coaster! I'm tired of feeling like every fight is my fault, and making you give me sympathy because I want you! I need to know where we stand!" 

As I finished, Mitch furrowed his eyes brows in a concerned way, but I could also tell he was thinking hard about what I just said. It was a very awkward silence before Mitch broke it.

"Scott... The reason we fight is my fault." Mitch said quietly. I shook my head in my hands.

"No, it's not-"

"Yes it is!! Every fight has been my insecurity and me doubting your loyalty to me. I see you hanging around Alex a lot, and my feelings get carried away! I always feel like your cheating on me when I know your not. I know very much your not, my mind just wants me to beleive that you don't love me as much as I love you..." Mitch trailed off, propping his elbow on his knee and holding his forehead, shaking his head back and forth.  

"I would never stray from you." I said softly.

He studied my eyes as I glanced into his. This is the first time we've made eye contact in weeks. I forgot how gorgeous his twinkling eyes always looked. He is just so beautiful, I don't know how he could think I would leave a person as amazing as him. 

"Mitch, let's end this back and forth, love hate thing we have going. I want to be with you forever, and never let you go again!" I said, putting one hand on his leg. His eyes, along with mine, started to well up with tears. 

"Oh Scottie! I love you! I will never question your loyalty again. I've never wanted to kiss someone as badly as I want to kiss you." Mitch said, cupping my face in his hand.

"Then what are you waiting for?" I whispered. He slammed his lips on mine and pulled me close to him. I love the way his lips feel on mine, with one hand cupping my face, the other on my waist. I missed this feeling that is so familiar to me, but feels brand new every time. We pulled away slightly, resting our foreheads together.  

"I love you." Mitch whispered against my lips.

"I love you too, Mitchie." I whispered, so relieved that our feud was finally over, and we could be together for all of eternity, with nothing but each other.