A NIGHT TOGETHER

Theresa Salvatore

"Nick please, can you calm down. It's nothing like what you are assuming. We didn't know about the connecting rooms at first and when I asked to change my room, the other rooms were booked so I didn't have a choice. I promise there is nothing going on. I wouldn't do that to you." I might just cry now.

"No Tessa. Enough is enough. You have zero clue about what he has done to me. I try my best to be good around him, when you are there, just for you, just because you are my bestfriend. I can't take this anymore. Since we met him in Bahamas y'all have become some sort of bestfriends or god knows what. And it annoys the fuck out of me. You are my bestfriend, not his. He can't just steal important people from my life everytime. He doesn't have that right. Not anymore." Nick's chest rises and falls in anger. Angry tears pool at the corner of his eyes.

"Nick, I am sorry. I didn't mean to intrude your friendship with Tessa. I had no such intention. Everything was just a coincidence and we genuinely didn't know about the rooms. I'm really sorry. I don't know what else to say other than I'm sorry," Hardin tries to explain but it doesn't help and I know it won't.

I've never seen Nick this angry. I don't know why he thinks that Hardin is trying to break our friendship or cause problems in it. Hardin has always been sweet to me and I know for a fact that he wants his bond with Nick back. I can see him try but Nick just doesn't listen.

"No Hardin. You don't get to speak here. Not between Tessa and me. You don't know shit about our friendship so keep your damn mouth shut. And Tessa you, you need to stop whatever this is," he waves his hand between Hardin and me, "You have to stop hanging out with this guy. He is only going to cause problems between us and I don't want that. Since you've met him we've been fighting and I hate it. We have never had a single fight before he entered your life. So please, I'm saying this for your good. Just listen to me."

That's it. That's the point where I lose my shit. Since I've met Hardin, Nick's been trying to tell me what to do and what not to. He knows I hate when someone does that. I can make my own decisions about my friendships and relationships with people. He is not my parent to instruct me about every small thing.

"No Nick. You don't get to decide that for me. Hardin has always been sweet to me. He has never spoken anything bad about you, not once. I don't why you always find ways to get mad at him but he's genuinely trying and you can't see that. I will be friends with him if I want to. Y'all need to sort your shit out," I shout and look at both the boys.

Nick looks shock by my sudden change of tone. When I look at Hardin he looks equally shocked. It's better if Hardin doesn't say anything at the moment.

"So now your on his side. Great. You know what, you two have fun in this room, I'm not going to stay here with y'all. I'm going to stay with Trevor," Nick announces and leaves the room, slamming the door shut.

I sit on my bed, holding my head in my hands. I just wish Nick wouldn't have reacted like this. I hate his temper. I know he didn't mean half of the stuff he said, but it hurts.

Hardin walks towards me and I look up at him. I am curled up close to the headboard. He comes and sits in front of me.

Hardin takes my hands in his, "I am so sorry Tessa. I always end up causing problems between y'all. I genuinely don't mean to. I don't want to ruin your relationship with Nick. You believe me, don't you?"

His eyes are glossy. I can see the sadness on his face. I know he didn't mean any of this to happen, but it happened and now I don't know how to fix this.

"Yes I believe you Hardin. I just don't know to fix everything," I sigh.

All this is so overwhelming right now, I just want to cry. As soon as that thought crosses my mind, a tear rolls down my cheek.

Hardin's hands quickly reach up and catch that tear. "Hey, don't cry. None of this is your fault. Everything will be fine," he pulls me into a tight hug.

"No, I don't think so."

"It will be. Don't worry, I'll make sure of that," he says while caressing my back.

I just hug him tight. I don't want him to leave. I want him to comfort me and assure me that everything will be fine with Nick. I want him to cuddle me, I want him to caress me. I just want him right now, right here.

Hardin slowing starts pulling away and I get scared that he might go back to his room.

I look at him with a blank expression and he notices it.

"I am just going to change into cotton pants. I think you should change too. You'll feel better," he says with a pleasing smile.

I nod and get up to change my outfit. I take a pair of cotton shorts and a black t-shirt and quickly get changed while Hardin changes his outfit too.

I go back and sit on the bed. Hardin enters through the connecting door with a glass of water. He is only wearing cotton pants and is shirtless. He places the glass of water on the nightstand and sits next to me.

"I think you should sleep. You need rest. You've been shooting constantly."

"Yes, I think I might sleep. Can you just pass me the glass of water?"

He nods and hands me the glass. I drink the water and thank him.

He scoots closer and wraps his arms around me. "Don't worry, everything will be fine tomorrow morning. Nick will realise his mistake," he says in a soft voice.

"Thank you Hardin, for understanding. I just hate fighting with him."

He looks down at me and smiles. We stay in the same position and within minutes I fall asleep in his arms.