BEACH AND HER

Hardin McCall

I love beaches. They are just so calm and peaceful. And watching the beautiful stars and the waves hitting the shore in the night is just serene. I know everyone sees a very rude and arrogant side of me but I am not that. My past has made me that. Just to keep my soft side alive I either sit at the shore or I write. Writing is one of my passions. It really helps me calm down.

As I take in my surroundings in, I see a shadow of someone a few feet away. I quickly turn around to see who it is and I see Tess. She was just about to turn around and leave but that's when I stopped her. I would like to know what she is doing here so late.

She doesn't reply when I ask her if she's okay. "Tess?" I ask her again and she replies, "Oh, hey Hardin." She looks confused. I ask her again, "Are you okay?"

"Yes, yes, I'm fine." She says in a monotonous tone. There is definitely something wrong. I need to know what is it. And why is she here alone? Wasn't she supposed to be with Nick in their chalet?

"What are you doing here? It's really late for you do be wondering alone like this. And where is Nick?" I ask her but she doesn't answer instead she just sits on the sand next to me and holds her head in her hands.

"Hey, what's wrong? You can tell me." I look at her with concerned eyes. She looks at me with watery eyes, "Nick and I just got into our first fight and I feel terrible about that."

"What was the fight about? Was it because of me? I'm so sorry if y'all fought because of me. I really didn't mean to cause any trouble between you guys. I just came to say hi and see how Nick's been doing because I haven't seen him for years. I am really sorry Tess." I apologise.

"No, no, you don't have to apologise. It wasn't your fault. Nick was just being irrational. I don't know what it is that caused this bad blood between y'all but I've never seen Nick this angry before and it kinda scared me. I hope y'all will find your way back." She tells me and gives me a weak smile.

"I don't think we can ever find our way back. But that's completely okay. You don't have to worry about it. But can I ask you something?"

"Yes sure, go on Hardin" she encourages me to ask my question. "What made you so upset that you left the chalet and had to come here and sit. I thought you and Nick had a very strong bond. Atleast it looked like that when I saw y'all at the dance" as soon as I tell her this a frown takes over her beautiful smile.

"It's nothing really. He just said something about my past that he had promised he would never mention. That was just a dark part of my past and I've been trying to forget it. But it's fine I know he didn't mean it" I can clearly see that she is upset about it and I want to comfort her but I don't know how.

"Oh" is all I could say. "Yeah" is all she replied in return. We sit there for a few minutes in silence until I finally speak. "I hope y'all solve it soon. I really didn't mean to ruin your vacation here. I'm sorry once again."

She assures me again that it's not a big deal and that Nick will come around. She also tells me that it was not my fault and asks me to stop apologising for it again and again and I give her a small smile.

"Well, I forgot to ask you this. What are you doing here so late?" She asks me and I say, "I just couldn't sleep so I thought I could spend some time at the beach. The view is beautiful." She looks satisfied by my answer.

Just as I'm about to tell her something else I see Nick walking towards. I just stare blankly at him and Tess notices that and she asks me what's wrong. "Nick, Nick's here" I tell her pointing towards Nick.

She turns around and looks at him in surprise. "What are you doing here?" she asks him and I sit quietly while playing with some sand.

"I came here to apologise for my behavior. I'm so sorry Tess. I shouldn't have reacted like that. I know you were just doing something good. I really am sorry. Can you come back to the chalet?" Just as these words leave his mouth I start to feel jealous again. I don't know what bothers me so much but it does and I can't seem to ignore it.

"It's okay Nick. I get it. I'm glad you realised your mistake", she tells him and pulls him into a hug and my jealousy keeps increasing by the second. "Let's go" she tells Nick and pulls his arm.

They start walking and I sit there alone again. "Hardin" Tess calls out my name. I quickly look up to her.

"Good night Hardin!" She wishes me with a warm smile and I can't stop but smile back. "Good night Tess!" I wish her in return.

Just as those words leave my mouth Nick gives me a stay-the-fuck-away-from-us look and leaves. I decide to ignore him and go back to my chalet to sleep on the couch while Ivy is sleeping on my bed.