Chapter 02

COOPER HEARST

"She was the best shag I've had in a long fucking time, man," my roommate, Marcus, started to say as he came walking into the living room. "But she's such a slut, denying me again. Said something about she doesn't sleep with the same guy twice. Probably carrying a bunch of diseases and shit or something."

"Didn't she tell you it was just a one-time thing before you got into bed with her?" I mumbled, keeping my eyes on the television but growing irritated with his constant complaints whenever a woman turned him down.

Marcus glanced at me for a moment before speaking, ignoring my comment. "At least you seem to sleep with girls who want more than a one-night stand," Marcus started up again. "I'm done sleeping with the most notorious girls on campus. They may be great in bed but the aftermath and their attitude sure as hell isn't worth it. Hey, what would you think about me trying to get with Laura?"

"Go for it," I said lazily even though I felt my jaw tense slightly at the mention of her name. My phone ringing on the coffee table suddenly brought me out of my stupor and I answered it quickly without seeing who it was first.

"It's four o'clock," Benjamin said on the other line. "Calling in a save."

"I'll be right there," I responded before abruptly hanging up the phone.

I pushed myself off the couch and practically jogged to my room to change, eager to get the hell away from Marcus. Throwing on a simple pair of dark washed jeans and a black three-quarter button up shirt, I slipped into my black tennis shoes before making my way back toward the front door.

Where the hell are you going?" Marcus asked from the couch where I had previously been sitting. I rolled my eyes, angered that he always felt the need to know my every move, and grabbed my keys off the counter before turning to him.

"I'm meeting up with Ben. I'll see you at the party tonight," I told him dryly, not bothering to hide my distaste as I pulled open the door and slipped out.

***

"Thanks, man," I said as I walked past Benjamin and entered his apartment. "I just can't stand Marcus anymore and how he complains every time a girl turns him down. He acts like it's his god given right to get whatever and whoever he wants."

"My offer still stands," Benjamin replied simply as he sauntered over to the couch and kicked his feet up to rest on his ottoman. "My spare room is open."

I sighed, thinking over his offer for a brief moment but I already knew that I wanted out. I fell into his recliner, closing my eyes in frustration.

"When is the earliest I can move in?" I asked, not worrying about pissing off Marcus. I could no longer handle his constant hookups and his complaints when a girl left or told him no because she realized how much of an ass he actually was.

"In a week," he informed me as he tossed the remote in my direction. "I'll be gone next weekend so you can move all your stuff in here then unless you need the help."

Before I could reply, thank him for the help, my phone started going off and interrupted my train of thought. Pulling it out of my pocket, I groaned when I saw Laura's name light up my screen.

I hit decline and slid my phone onto the end table next to me after making sure I had silenced my ringer. Benjamin looked at me with a raised brow, but I ignored his questioning gaze as he leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees as he waited for me to speak.

"I'm tired of hooking up," I blurted out as I sunk back deeper into the recliner. "It was fun for a while, especially after everything that happened, but it's just not me. I'm meant for an actual relationship and I'm ready for one."