chapter thirteen ... hey batter batter

Scintilla (n

Scintilla (n.)
a tiny, brilliant flash or spark; a small thing.
———

"Come on, King," I yelled down the hall as I tied the front of Cooper's jersey so you could see my jean shorts. "I don't want to be late."

"Calm down," Kingsley scolded as she came strolling down the hallway in a loose fitted yellow shirt and black shorts, our school's colors. "The game doesn't start for another two hours."

"But I want food," I complained as she approached me. Kingsley put her arms around my shoulders and gave me a quick peck on the cheek before pulling back to look me in the eyes.

"You're so smitten," she teased as she flicked my nose with her pointer finger. Scrunching up my face, I clipped on my fanny pack and made my way out the front door.

______

Pulling up to the diner on main street, we both climbed out of her car and saw Benjamin waiting for us by the front entry.

"Hello ladies," he greeted as he gave Kingsley a quick kiss and she wrapped an arm around his waist as his fell to rest over the top of her shoulders. "Looking good, Elli. Surprised he let you wear his jersey."

"Why?" I asked as he held open the door for us to walk in.

"He never let his ex-girlfriend wear his extra jersey before," Benjamin informed me as he and Kingsley walked past me to find a seat. I froze on the spot, caught off guard by his statement.

"You coming?" Kingsley called, snapping me out of my thoughts. Shaking my head, I walked over and joined them in a booth near the corner.

After ordering our food, I spotted Laura walking into the diner. She glanced in my direction and we maintained eye contact for a few seconds before she turned her back on me and walked in the opposite direction.

"So, how are you handling Coop?" Benjamin asked after our food had been delivered. Laughing, I plopped a fry in my mouth.

"I should be asking you how he's handling me," I retorted which brought a laugh out of Kingsley.

"Oh, he's crazy about you," he said without hesitation which caused a smile to grace my face. "I hope he's not being over the top or anything."

"Not at all," I replied quickly, shaking my head. "He's so sweet and thoughtful, I'm soaking it up."

"Good," Benjamin said with a mouthful of food. "And you're still into him?"

I glanced over at Kingsley who sat next to him and saw her shrug. I took a deep breath, knowing that I had done this same thing to him about Kingsley so I had no right to question him questioning my motives.

"I am," I assured him with a smile.

"Then why haven't you two kissed?" He asked which almost made me choke on my fry. Wiping at my mouth, Kingsley roughly slapped his shoulder but he didn't react as he kept his eyes trained on me.