chapter one ... the mom friend

Laotong (n

Laotong (n.)
a friendship bonding two girls together
for eternity as kindred sisters.
———

You know those mornings where you wake up and look out the window and can't help but smile and think, today is going to be a wonderful day. I can't wait to get out there and see what's in store for me? Yeah, me neither. But thanks to Kingsley, I at least always had a coffee waiting for me.

However, this morning she wasn't so considerate of my condition when she came tearing into my room causing me to be startled awake.

"Get your ass up," she demanded as she threw a pillow at my face. "You're going to be late for class again."

Groaning, I wrapped myself deeper into my blankets as I held my pillow over my head to keep the light that was seeping in through my black curtains out of my eyes.

"King, just let me sleep off this hangover," I pleaded, knowing damn well she wasn't going to let me. But as I always say, a girl has got to try.

"El, I swear to god," Kingsley hissed as she walked over and tore the pillow away from my face. "You've missed class three days already this week."

"So?" I grumbled as I cracked an eye open to look at my best friend who stood there with her arms folded over her chest like an irritated mother just trying to get her kids up and out the door.

"It's Thursday."

Sighing loudly, I flipped over and whipped the blankets off myself. Glaring at my friend, a smile broke on my face as I saw Kingsley holding a bottle of water and two Advil.

"Thanks," I whispered gratefully as I quickly threw the Advil back and drank some water. There's nothing better than water to soothe a scratchy throat after a night of drinking. Now all I needed was some greasy food.

Climbing out of bed, I made my way over to her closet and grabbed my usual daytime outfit: a black tank, my red leather jacket and a pair of ripped skinny jeans. Stripping down in the middle of my bedroom, I heard Kingsley sigh.