chapter forty five ... play wham outside my window

Retrouvaille (n

Retrouvaille (n.)
the joy of meeting or finding someone again after a long separation; rediscovery.
———

two weeks later...

"Thank you for the opportunity," I said as I shook hands with the manager at the fifth store I had been to that day. "If anything else comes up, please don't hesitate think of me."

"Of course," the manager said blandly as he let go of my hand. "Have a good day."

Walking out of the clothing store, I threw my hair up in a messy ponytail and made my way through the busy Orlando streets. Feeling my phone vibrate in my pocket, I pulled it out and saw Kingsley's picture.

"Hey, babe," Kingsley greeted enthusiastically when I answered the phone. "How'd it go?"

"Another hit and miss," I told her, disappointed.

Kingsley sighed and I heard dishes hitting the countertop. "Don't let this deter you, honey. You'll find something soon, I know it. Have you thought of asking Brandon if you can model for him?"

"I will not model," I scoffed as I turned down the street towards Brandon's house.

Spotting Bradon's car in the driveway, I slowed my pace as I approached the house. Worried about walking in on him with another guy again, I put the phone on speaker and texted him to make sure the coast was clear.

"You're gorgeous, Elli," Kingsley emphasized dramatically which caused me to laugh. "It'd be such easy money. Just think about it."

"Fine, I will. Now I have to go. I should really finish unpacking and start looking for more jobs. I'll call you later," I told her as I saw Brandon had given me a thumbs up.

Kingsley made kissing noises before saying, "You better. Love you."

"Love you, too," I said before hanging up the phone. Walking up the driveway, I pulled out my keys and opened the door before walking in.

My eyebrows shot up in confusion as I had to climb over the couch that was blocking the hallway. The entire living room had been made into a studio with racks of clothing scattered around the living room and kitchen and camera props littering the area.

"I know you're going to say no but I have to ask," Brandon rushed out as he came running over to me and grabbed my hands. "One of my girls is sick and I need someone to fill in for her. Would you do that for me?"

"Bran," I groaned as I tilted my head back to look at the ceiling before looking back at him. "You know I hate being in front of a camera but I can call Amber. She'd do it in a heartbeat."