chapter forty two ... you're running, too

Ellipsism (n

Ellipsism (n.)
sadness that you'll never be able to know how history will turn out.
———

"So you're just, leaving?" Nick asked as he shoved a handful of chips into his mouth, not taking his eyes off the television. I nodded as I slung my backpack over my shoulder and headed toward the front door. "Just like that?"

"Just like that," I responded blandly after slipping on my shoes. "Thanks for letting me crash here the last few days."

"Mi casa es su casa. Although I am rather surprised you reached out and asked me. We aren't exactly friends or anything, especially after what happened between me and your girl."

Clenching my jaw at the memory, I shook my head softly to myself. "Yeah, well, that's how desperate I was for a place to stay," I snapped as I pulled open the door. "Have a nice life, Nick."

Stepping into the hallway, I slammed the door shut behind me and quickly made my way down the stairs. Heading to my car, I threw my bag in the back seat and closed the door. Sitting in the driver's seat, I closed my eyes together tightly before I started pounding the steering wheel. Elliott's face kept flashing through my mind and there was nothing I could do to stop the feelings that rushed through me.

Fighting back the tears, I took a deep breath before starting up the car when I suddenly heard my phone go off. Pulling it out of my pocket, I saw a few texts from Benjamin.

Benjamin: Elliott stopped by looking for you.

Benjamin: She wanted to talk and patch things up but she knows you're leaving.

Benjamin: I'll be gone for a few hours this afternoon so you can get the rest of your stuff.

Rereading the first two texts, I cursed myself under my breath as I leaned my head back against the headrest. Mad at myself more than anything, I knew, or at least told myself, the quicker I moved and left this place the quicker I would get over her.

But I knew I was lying to myself.

Pulling out of the parking lot, I made my way towards Benjamin's apartment and watched the campus and town pass me by. This was going to be the last time I was seeing any of it and it didn't seem real.

Reaching the apartment, I quickly climbed out and closed the door before making my way into the building. As I approached the few remaining steps, I stopped for a brief second when I spotted a brunette standing near the door.

"Cara?" I questioned in shock as she turned around. Locking eyes with the pale green ones that were identical to her brothers, I closed the distance between us and pulled her into me.

"Hey, Coop," she said softly as she hugged me back before pulling away and roughly hitting my chest. "We need to talk."

Sighing, I pulled out my keys and opened the door. Only a handful of my boxes remained around the apartment, stacked neatly near the kitchen. Following Cara into the living room, she fell down on the couch as she crossed her left leg over her right and folded her arms over her chest.

"So let me make sure I got this right," Cara said as she stared at me intently. "You and Elliott had a fight about Jonathan and then you told her you heard what she told Benji and you were pissed that she didn't tell you, then you told her it wasn't your time so she kicked you out. Then to put the icing on the cake, she finds you with Laura and you're both practically naked and she runs out and you don't try to contact her at all after to fix things?"

Staring at her with narrowed eyes, I nodded slowly before walking around and sitting down in the chair. "Yeah, that's the just. Look Cara, I don't want to corner her at all and I think it'd just be best if I left and tried to start fresh. I've ruined everything around here, all my relationships."

"Elliott came looking for you," Cara scoffed as she looked at me annoyed. "She wanted to talk and see if you two could fix things and you're not even going to reach out and give her the chance?"

Running a hand through my hair roughly, I rested my head back against the cushion and groaned. I wanted to be with Elliott more than anything but I didn't deserve her and I wasn't sure I could risk hurting her again.

"She's better off without me," I mumbled as I avoided eye contact.

"Well, that's that," she replied as she uncrossed her legs and slapped her knees. "At least someone will be patching up things before she leaves."

It took me a second to process what she was saying but when it finally dawned on me, I quickly turned in my seat and whipped my head in her direction.

"Wait, what are you talking about?" I rushed out as I pushed myself out of the chair.

"Kingsley is going to apologize and forgive Elliott because she doesn't want to leave anything unresolved before Elliott moves in with her cousin out in Florida," Cara informed me. Noticing the shocked look on my face, she rolled her eyes as she gave me an annoyed look. "You're running away, too. Don't get why you look so hurt."

"When does she leave?" I asked as Cara pulled open the front door.

She turned around to look at me with a sad smile but it didn't seem that genuine. "She leaves tonight with Alex. Actually, I'm sure they're heading to the airport soon. I know Kingsley said she'd be there about now to say goodbye, so."

Not giving me a chance to reply, she turned around and walked out of the apartment. Standing there alone in the silence, I started to think about how much I loved her and how it would crush me to leave things like they are. I felt horrible that it took me hearing that she was leaving to make me desperate but I think a small part of me was telling myself that she'd always be here if things changed.

But that wasn't the case anymore. Unless I did something about it.

Tearing out of the apartment, I quickly ran down the stairs to my car. Pulling my phone out of my pocket, I clicked on Elliott's number but it went straight to voicemail. Climbing into the car, I tried Kingsley as I drove off towards their apartment.

 Climbing into the car, I tried Kingsley as I drove off towards their apartment