chapter twenty four ... animal shelter

Quaintrelle - (n

Quaintrelle - (n.)
a woman who emphasizes a life of passion, expressed through personal style, leisurely pastimes, charm and cultivation of life's pleasures.
———

I quietly slipped out of bed, careful not to wake Cooper as I tiptoed my way toward the door. Dipping into the hallway, I flipped up the hood on my onesie and walked down the hall into the kitchen. I poured some fresh coffee into a mug before turning around and spotting Kingsley sitting in front of the television.

"Hey honey," I said as I fell into the recliner. "How was the rest of your night?"

"Pretty good," she told me as she bit her lip and her cheeks heated up. My eyes widened as I set my mug down on the table and rested my elbows on my knees.

"Oh my, did you?" I questioned excitedly, trying to keep my voice somewhat quiet since the boys were still sleeping. Kingsley frantically nodded her head and I squealed as I launched forward and wrapped my arms around her.

"It was amazing," Kingsley informed me as I pulled back to sit back down. "He's definitely not selfish, I'll tell you that."

I chuckled as I shook my head and took another sip of my coffee as she went on to talk about her night. I smiled and nodded to let her know I was listening but my mind wandered. It wandered to the other night when Cooper stopped anything from happening and how badly I wished he hadn't. If I made a move, would he stop it again? And why had he really stopped it in the first place?

"So what are your plans today?" She asked once she had stopped talking about her and Benjamin.

"I have to be at the shelter in an hour," I answered as I climbed off the couch to put my mug in the sink. "How about you?"

"I was going to meet up with my lab group to finish our project," Kingsley started to say before she sighed. "But I rather hang out here with you or Benjamin."

"Well, I should be back around two so we can do something then. But I have to go get ready."

"Are you going to bring Cooper with you?" She questioned as she leaned her head against the back of the couch to look at me. Stopping in the hallway, a small smile graced my lips as I nodded my head.

"You know what? I think I just might."

I sauntered down the hallway with a grin on my face as I pushed open my bedroom door. Cooper was still fast asleep, his hair sticking up in random directions as he hugged my pillow to his chest. I shook my head at how cute he was before grabbing my phone and quickly snapping a picture.

Walking over to the bed, I rested a knee on it and put a hand on his shoulder before placing a kiss on his neck. He stirred slightly underneath me but his eyes remained closed. Rolling my eyes, I had to try and suppress a laugh as I grabbed a pillow I had on the floor and whacked him with it.