chapter thirty two ... cake & balloons

Shlimazl (n

Shlimazl (n.)
someone who is always unlucky.
———

"No, I said you were in charge of balloons and you were in charge of the cake," I scolded the boys as they entered the apartment. "One of you needs to go get the cake right now."

"I have to go pick up King," Benjamin said as he began to creep back toward the door. "I'll have her here in three hours like we planned and I'll text you when we're five minutes away."

Not giving me the opportunity to respond, he slipped out the door and quickly closed it behind him. Slowly turning to Cooper with a smile creeping up on my face, I folded my hands together in a begging motion.

"Fine, I'll go get it," Cooper huffed as a small smile pulled at his lips. "But you owe me."

"Oh I will," I told him as I ran a hand slowly down his chest. "Just you wait."

Cooper's eyes twinkled and just as he was about to wrap me up in his arms, I quickly spun away with a laugh which caused him to groan.

"You better hurry back or else you'll have to wait till after the party," I pointed out as I looked over my shoulder and sent him a wink. Without a word, Cooper tore out the door and I heard him running down the stairs.

Laughing to myself, I scratched behind Mia's ears before grabbing the large set of balloons and sauntering around the apartment, trying to find the perfect places to hang them up.

An hour went by when I heard the front door open. Exiting my room, I smiled as I saw Cooper standing there with the cake in one hand and flowers in the other.

"I know you said to not get you flowers but I decided not to listen," he said as he put the cake down on the counter and walked over to me. Grabbing the flowers, I pushed myself up on the balls of my feet and planted a kiss to his lips.

"Well thank you," I told him as I walked into the kitchen to grab a vase. "They're beautiful."

"Glad you like them," Cooper mumbled as he walked over to join me at the sink, wrapping his arms around my waist from behind and resting his chin on my shoulder. "What are you going to wear tonight?"

"No idea," I groaned as I grabbed the vase that was now full of water and put the bouquet inside. "Want to help me?"

"I'd love nothing more."

———

I quickly finished brushing my hair as I heard a knock on the door. Slipping on my light denim jean jacket, I brushed down my white dress and jogged to get the door.