chapter seventeen ... catchphrase

Sobremesa (n

Sobremesa (n.)
the time spent around the table after lunch or dinner,
talking to the people you shared the meal with;
time to digest and savor both food and friendship.
———

"It's one of the few red foods I like," I rushed out as I heard the beeper began to pick up its pace.

"Apples," Kingsley yelled. I roughly smacked the button on the side of the catch phrase card holder and tossed it to Cooper.

"Okay," Cooper said quickly with a nod as he started to gesture wildly with his right hand. "It's a thing that you use to paint on."

"An easel," Benjamin responded quickly as Kingsley groaned and ripped the machine out of Cooper's hands.

"It's a thing that happens to a fish when it dies," Kingsley spat out as she looked at me frantically. I shook my head as I furrowed my eyebrows and shrugged my shoulders.

"It goes belly up," I questioned, unsure.

"The last two."

"Belly up."

Kingsley roughly tossed it towards Benjamin and he quickly tried to flip it over after hitting the button but the buzzer sounded. Both Kingsley and I jumped out of our seats and slammed into each other as we hugged one another and squealed.

Turning to the boys, we each put a hand on our hip as we smiled triumphantly but the boys weren't so pleased. I laughed as I fell back down on the seat next to Cooper and laid my head on his shoulder.

"Sorry, baby but maybe this will teach you to not challenge us next time," I teased which caused him to try and shrug me off. I laughed as I wrapped my arms around his torso and looked up at him through my eyelashes, trying to look innocent but he just rolled his eyes as a smile stayed on his lips. 

"I have another game we can play," Kingsley said as she made her way into the kitchen to grab a bowl of popcorn out of the microwave that we had made about half an hour ago.

"No more games where we're on the clock," Benjamin groaned as he threw his head back against the cushion of the couch.

"It's not," Kingsley said lazily as she came back into the living room and put the bowl on the counter. "We've all been together for about two weeks now so things would be fair. Why not see which couple knows each other best? And then we can see which friendship pair knows the most."

"We heard you two arguing about who knew their significant other better so we figured we could help you boys settle the score," I told them with a shrug. Cooper and Benjamin both looked at each other before they narrowed their eyes in on one another.

"Bring it," Benjamin said with a cockiness to his voice. Cooper moved to sit next to me and slung an arm around my shoulders.

"Oh I will because there's no way you know King better than I know Elli," Cooper stated confidently which made me roll my eyes.