chapter ten ... scouts honor

Philocalist (n

Philocalist (n.)
someone who finds and appreciates
beauty in all things.
———

I sat in the union, waiting for Kingsley to come and meet me. She had class for at least another half an hour so I made the decision to do some online shopping. Turning the music up on my headphones, I tried to block out the noise of the obnoxious college students around me.

I don't know much time had passed before I saw someone sit down on the couch across from me from my peripheral. Turning my head, I groaned as I saw not just Ryan but Laura there as well. Rolling my eyes, I turned my attention back to my laptop that rested on my lap until I saw Laura lean over and whisper something to Ryan.

"What the hell do you want?" I seethed as I ripped out my left earbud, not wanting to deal with them. Narrowing my eyes, I folded my arms over my chest.

"Oh, nothing," Laura tried to say sweetly but instead it sounded like nails scratching a chalkboard. "Just talking about what a great time Cooper and I had after I got off work on Saturday."

I laughed and shook my head as I held my left earbud between my fingers. "At least get your facts straight before you try and stir the pot."

I put my earbud back in and grabbed my phone, turning the volume up even louder than before as I noticed Laura's face turn a bright shade of red. Smiling to myself, I continued to scroll through Buzzfeed's article of 20 Outfits You Need This Summer when my earbuds were roughly ripped from my ears.

Ryan leaned down so his lips were near my ear and his other hand started to run along my shoulder. I shuddered under his touch in disgust and roughly gripped his hand which caused him to curse in my ear as he tried to break out of my grip.

"You'd be smart to get out now," Ryan hissed as he finally pulled his hand back. "You don't want to mess with us."

"Kiss my ass, Ryan," I told him as I grabbed my earbuds back and brushed him off. I watched as he stormed off with Laura chasing after him and I couldn't help but laugh quietly to myself.

A couple minutes passed before Kingsley came strolling into the union and I released a heavy, relieved sigh as I quickly closed my laptop.

"Thank god," I breathed out as I slipped my laptop back in my large bag and hiked it over my shoulder. "Get me out of here."

"I wanted coffee though, can't we... never mind," she said, cutting herself off when she noticed the expression on my face. Kingsley intertwined her hand through mine and we left the union to head to the bus stop.

______

I huffed in annoyance as I threw down my fourth outfit in disdain and stormed back into my walk-in closet. I never struggled this much with choosing an outfit before because I usually never cared what guys thought of me; all I had to do was show a little skin and I was set. Yet here I was, worried I wouldn't look good which could result in Cooper losing interest in me.