chapter twenty two ... farmers market

Erlebnisse - (n

Erlebnisse - (n.)
the experiences, positive or negative, that we feel most deeply.
———

I tiptoed down the stairs, trying to sneak into the kitchen to grab a late night snack. I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and stood on the balls of my feet to try and reach the bag of chips from the cabinet when I heard a car door close outside.

I quickly darted towards the stairs before realizing I wouldn't be able to make it up to my bedroom in time. Glancing down the hallway, I slipped into the hall closet and closed it behind me. The front door burst open and I heard my mother laughing loudly.

"You're my hero," she slurred as I saw two shadows make their way down the hall towards me. I watched my mother's feet stop outside the closet before she was suddenly pushed against the wall.

"Tell me how you like it," a deep voice said as my eyes widened. I put a hand over my mouth as my eyes began to water once I recognized the voice.

My eyes shot open but I relaxed quickly as I noticed I was in my room. I felt a strong pair of arms wrapped around my waist and the sound of soft snoring behind me. I smiled as I held onto his arms and sighed in content.

I felt Cooper start to stir before he yawned loudly which caused his grip to loosen. I rolled over and faced him, pressing a quick kiss to his lips before I beamed at him. I trailed a finger down his bare chest as I bit my lip before looking up into his eyes.

"How'd you sleep?" I questioned. Cooper smiled as he brought a hand up to push some of the hair out of my face.

"Best sleep of my life," he answered. "What about you, beautiful?"

"Great," I informed him before pressing a quick kiss to his nose. Cooper's phone suddenly went off and he groaned loudly before rolling over to search for it. Finding it on the floor, he quickly shot out of the bed and started reaching for his clothes that were scattered around the room.

"Shit, I'm so sorry, El. I'm late for practice," Cooper rushed before he leaned on the bed to place a short kiss to my lips. "I'll call you after, okay? Have a great day."

Before I could even climb out of bed, I heard the front door closing. Chuckling quietly to myself, I slid out of bed and grabbed my silk robe before making my way out the door and toward the kitchen.

Opening the fridge, I sighed as I noticed we were out of milk and settled on a bottle of water. As I closed the door and turned around, I jumped as Kingsley stood there with a smile on her face.

"So what'd you two get up to last night?" She drawled out as she giggled. I rolled my eyes and brushed past her to head toward my room to take a shower.

"Sadly, nothing," I informed her with a sigh as she followed me down the hall. "Can I help you with something?"

"Well, you're up before nine so I was wondering if you wanted to go to the farmers market with me for once," Kingsley said as she leaned against the frame of my bedroom door. I laughed quietly as I nodded my head which caused her to clap and bounce on her feet.