chapter two ... pancakes

Kalon (n

Kalon (n.)
beauty that is more than skin deep.
———

"You're overthinking this," I groaned as Kingsley and I walked through the eighth store that night.

"I just want him to like me," Kingsley mumbled as she shifted through the dresses on the clothes rack.

"He will honey and it doesn't matter what you wear. He'll like you for you," I tried to reassure her but Kingsley turned and put a hand on her hip.

"All you care about is what you look like, that's why guys flock to you like flies on shit." As soon as the words left her lips, she slammed a hand over her mouth and her face flushed with guilt. She walked over to me and placed a hand on my arm in apology.

Not giving her a chance to talk, I held my hand up to silence her. "Don't apologize, you're right. But honey, the difference between you and me is that I'm not looking for a relationship. All I seek out is sex which is why the clothes matter for me and not for you. Besides, your wardrobe is amazing as is. I don't see why you want a whole new outfit."

"Because," Kingsley started to say as she spun on her heel and made her way over to the shirts. "I feel like I wear the same thing all the time and I never go to these stupid parties. The least I could do is look like I give a shit."

I laughed as I started sifting through the rack, picking out a couple cute tops. Pushing Kingsley toward the dressing room, I sat in a plush purple chair as I waited for her to try everything on.

Kingsley finally stepped out in a short jean skirt and a tight fitted black crop top. I smiled at her as I pushed myself out of the chair and walked over to her, grabbing her hand and twirling her around. Kingsley laughed as she shook her head while I wrapped my arms around her waist from behind and rested my chin on her shoulder to look at her in the mirror.

"You look absolutely beautiful," I whispered in her ear as a smile tugged on her lips. "It's simple but so you."

"Good," Kingsley said as her smile grew wider. She skipped back into the dressing room and put her leggings and tshirt back on before grabbing the outfit and heading toward the checkout counter. Paying for her outfit, we started to venture our way out of the mall.

"So," she drew out as we approached her car. "Who are you hoping to hook up with this time?"

"Honestly I'm not seeking anyone out this time," I said as I climbed in the car and hooked my phone up to the speakers. "I'm just going to let whatever happens, happen."

"God I wish I had your carefree attitude," Kingsley groaned as she pulled out of the parking lot. "It'd make my life so much easier."

"I need a mom figure in my life though," I replied with a laugh as I tilted my head to look at her. "One of us has to be responsible."