chapter eleven ... carnival games

Fika (n

Fika (n.)
a moment to slow down and appreciate the good things in life.
———

I walked hand in hand with Cooper into the heart of the carnival, passing by countless food trucks before we finally reached the games. He quickly scanned the area and suddenly yanked me forward as we practically jogged toward a booth that contained a bunch of stuffed animals.

I giggled as we came to a stop at the front of the booth and Cooper took his hand out of mine to wrap around my shoulders.

"You ready to play, lad?" The elderly man running the booth asked as he placed a toothpick in his mouth. Cooper smiled down at me and nodded eagerly before he walked up to pay him.

"Yes sir," he said as he accepted the five baseballs the man handed to him and laid them out on the wooden plank in front of himself. "I need to impress the lady and what she wants, she gets."

It was a simple game, a pyramid of glass bottles that he had to knock over. Cooper smiled down at me as I slid up to his side and he looked so giddy that it caused a smile to cover my face. He reached for one of the baseballs and stood like a pitcher, bringing his knee up to his chest before he wound up and threw the ball.

I rolled my eyes at his antics but stood there frozen when he knocked all five of the bottles down on the first try. The elder man seemed disappointed that Cooper had won that quickly as he folded his arms over his chest and huffed to himself.

Cooper beamed down at me, proud as ever, and held his arms open for me to jump into. He spun me around in a circle before he set me back down and my cheeks flushed red in embarrassment but Cooper didn't say anything.

"Did you play baseball?" I asked with a raised brow, ignoring the man who was still staring at us

"Yes I did," he informed me with a smile. "I still do, actually."

"Wait," I spoke quickly as I pushed away from his chest and put a hand on my hip. "You play baseball for the school?"

"Maybe," Cooper replied with a cocky grin as he turned his attention away from me and faced the elderly man. "Which can she choose from?"