chapter twenty ... karaoke night

Ludic (adj

Ludic (adj.)
full of fun and high spirits.
———

I stared at Elliott in awe as she laughed, her blonde wavy hair bouncing over her shoulders while her head shook in amusement. I had just finished singing I Want It That Way and she seemed to be having the time of her life. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't.

"You're something else," Elliott laughed as she sipped on her drink and looked at me with a twinkle in her eyes.

"I'd love to hear that voice of yours better," I said with a wink as I leaned forward with my elbows resting on the table. "Why don't you get up there and sing a solo?"

"She's too chicken shit," a soft feminine voice said from behind Elliott. I looked over her shoulder as she turned around and watched Benjamin and Kingsley approach the table. "She'd never get up there by herself."

"Wanna bet?" Elliott challenged as she folded her arms over her chest and even though I couldn't see her face, I knew her eyes were narrowed and those creases were distinct on her forehead.

"Then let's go, bunny," Kingsley said as she grabbed Elliott's hand and tried to pull her off the stool but she wouldn't budge. Benjamin and I laughed which caused her to snap her head in my direction and narrow her eyes on me.

"I'm signing us up for a song," Benjamin informed me as he walked past toward the sign up sheet where a small line had formed.

"Me too," Kingsley chirped as she skipped after him before Elliott could argue.

"Don't be so nervous," I teased as I reached a hand over the table to squeeze her arm softly. "You're going to kill it."

______

"Run, baby, run, don't ever look back. They'll tear us apart if you give them the chance. Don't sell your heart. Don't say we're not meant to be. Run, baby, run. Forever we'll be, you and me."

Benjamin and I finished our song with a hearty laugh as we slapped each other on the back. I looked out in the crowd and saw Kingsley and Elliott both beaming widely and I couldn't help but grin. Her smile was infectious.

I walked over to the table and wrapped my arms around Elliott's waist, burying my head in her neck as she chuckled softly while I kissed along her shoulder. Tilting my head back, I saw her eyes light up as she quickly pressed her lips to mine before maneuvering out of my grip to follow Kingsley who had taken off toward the stage.

"I'm surprised you got Elli to do this," Benjamin said as he took Kingsley's seat. I laughed as I shook my head and took a sip of my drink before reaching for some of Elliott's leftover fries.

"I'm not," I responded with a shrug. "She's more secure with herself than she lets on. She just needs someone to help her see it."

Suddenly, the lights dimmed as two spotlights hit the girls standing up on stage. Kingsley was dressed up in a jean skirt and a tight tank but Elliott still out-shined her. As the music started, some guys near the front started to whistle which caused both Benjamin and I to roll our eyes.