chapter fifteen ... stays between us

Odium (n

Odium (n.)
the widespread hatred or disgust for someone.
———

I was sitting on the couch, catching up on one of my shows from earlier in the week and nursing my hangover from the night before. Beer pong may have gotten a little out of hand between Benjamin and I since we were both extremely competitive but beggars can't be choosers.

The front door suddenly burst open and Kingsley came running into the apartment, making a beeline for her bedroom. I quickly jumped off the couch and ran after her but she had locked the door.

"King, what's wrong, baby? Let me in," I said softly as I knocked. My heart broke as I heard her crying and I rested my forehead against the door. "Please let me help you, honey."

The door suddenly opened and I wasted no time in wrapping my arms tightly around Kingsley and pulling her into my chest. She sobbed into my shoulder as she roughly fisted my shirt between her hands. I pulled her back slightly and walked toward the bed, moving so we were both sitting on the plush comforter. I pulled her head down gently into my lap as I ran my fingers through her hair and let her continue to cry.

Once she finally calmed down enough to speak, I asked, "What happened?"

"He doesn't want to be with me," she forced out as she sniffled. "He thinks I slept with someone else, El."

"Why the hell would he think that?" I almost yelled as my hand froze in her silky blonde hair.

"I don't know," she mumbled sadly. "He wouldn't even let me in so I could talk to him."

We stayed like that for an hour until I heard her heavy breathing and knew she had fallen asleep. I slowly slid out from underneath her and reached for a blanket she had on the chair that rested in the corner of her room and covered her with it.

Tiptoeing out of her bedroom, I gently closed the door behind me before practically running for the front door. Grabbing my wallet and Kingsley's keys off the couch, I slipped on my converse and made my way out to the car.

______

"Open the fucking door, Benjamin," I yelled as I pounded my fist heavily on the door. I suddenly heard footsteps and crossed my arms over my chest only to see Cooper opening the door instead.

"Someone's a little hostile this morning," Cooper started to tease but I roughly pushed past him and stormed into the apartment. Boxes littered the place and I had to climb over a few to make it to the hallway.

Pushing open the first door, I saw more boxes inside and knew that it was Cooper's room. Reaching for the next one, I flew inside and saw Benjamin sitting on his bed with his laptop in his lap and headphones in.

I walked over and slammed his laptop shut which caused him to finally look up at me and roll his eyes.

"What do you want, Elli?" Benjamin asked, frustration evident in his voice.