Chapter 04

ELLIOTT STEVENS

"There you are," Kara chirped as she practically skipped towards us, dragging Benjamin with her. Cooper pushed himself up on his feet and turned around, extending a hand out towards me with a smile. I grinned up at him before happily accepting, allowing him to pull me up to stand. "We were thinking of grabbing some food, want to come?"

"Well, you and I did come here together," I teased as I glanced between her and Benjamin's still intertwined hands and had to bite my lip to contain my smile. "And I told you I'd be mom for the night so come on daughter, let's go feed you."

Kara laughed and rolled her eyes as I looped my arm through her free one and allowed Benjamin to lead us towards his car. He hit the button on his remote to unlock it before tossing the keys to Cooper. I couldn't stop the grin from growing on my face when I saw Kara blushing profusely as Benjamin opened the door for her so she could slide in.

"Where are we going?" Cooper asked as he mimicked Benjamin and opened the passenger side door for me.

"You pick," I told him after glancing back at Kara and receiving a shrug from her in response. "I'm not that hard to please, I promise. I trust your judgement."

Cooper nodded as he walked around the car and opened the driver's side door, climbing in. Just as I was about to slide in myself, I felt a hand on my shoulder and noticed Benjamin looking at me with an intense expression covering his handsome features.

"Can you and I talk later?" He asked which caused my eyebrows to furrow as he glanced down at Kara through the window. "Privately?"

"I mean, I suppose, but why?" I retorted as I placed my arms to rest on the roof of the car. But instead of responding, he walked around the back of the car and opened the door, sliding in next to Kara and effectively ending our conversation. I rolled my eyes at his antics as I pulled open the door and slipped in next to Cooper.

I controlled the radio, finding Kara and I's favorite country station and her and I sang along to every song at the top of our lungs. The boys laughed and even sang along some, but mostly they were making fun of the two of us. About half an hour had passed before I started growing hungry, irritated with the pointless driving around.

"My god, just pick a place," I groaned from the passenger seat as I slammed my head against the headrest in frustration. "I'm fucking starving."

"Okay, okay," Kara giggled from the backseat which caused me to whip my head around and narrow my eyes at her, daring her to push me. "I'm sorry, I should've known better. Let's go to the Tavern."

"What do you mean, you should know better?" Cooper asked as we rolled to a stop at a red light, and he typed the restaurant into his GPS on his phone; we had definitely gotten ourselves lost during all the singing and bickering.

"Meaning once she gets hungry you have about ten minutes to get her something or else she turns into quite the bitch, no offense, El. That's why I usually always carry a granola bar in my purse." Both of the boys burst out laughing and I folded my arms over my chest in irritation.

"Good to know," Cooper said as he flipped on his blinker and turned once the light was green. "I'll have to remember that."

I glanced over at him with a raised brow, but he kept his eyes on the road. Suddenly, my phone went off in my lap and I looked down to see a text from Kara. I bit my lip to stop the laugh from escaping as I unlocked my phone and rolled my eyes at her message.

Kara: He likes you.

Me: He's just being nice.

Kara: Nope, he's going to ask you out. I can sense these things.