Chapter 06

COOPER HEARST

I awoke to the warm morning sun beating down on my face and the sound of the waves crashing against the shore. Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes with my right hand, I finally noticed the pressure on my chest and looked down to see Elliott asleep on me. Her head was resting on my pec with one arm draped over my waist and her left leg resting on top of mine.

I smiled softly to myself as I watched her sleep; she looked so peaceful and even more beautiful than the night before, if that was even possible, the early morning sun emphasizing the lighter brown streaks in her hair. I lightly began to trace the tattoos that covered her arm; a sleeve that contained flowers and other various nature scenes. Normally I wasn't a fan of sleeves on women, my own personal taste I suppose, but on her? It just seemed right.

As I laid there and traced the patterns on her skin, my hand absentmindedly finding its way to stroke her hair, my mind began to wander. Elliott Stevens wasn't the type of girl who got into relationships, the type of girl who would be exclusive, and that was what I wanted. I had told myself last night while at Benjamin's that I wouldn't let myself get wrapped up in her. After all, I already knew where that was going to lead me.

But after last night? After getting to know her?

Chasing Elliott was exactly what I wanted to do.

She began to stir slightly, pulling me out of my thoughts as she wrapped her arm tighter around my midsection, a soft hum escaping past her lips. Elliott opened her eyes into a squint, the bright morning sun no doubt stinging her bright blue eyes, a yawn ripping through her that caused me to chuckle.

Elliott abruptly sat upright, looking down at me in surprise. I raised an eyebrow at her expression, my smile disappearing from my face completely. She suddenly scurried out of the hammock, almost falling into the sand in the process, before she turned around to look at me with a sheepish look on her face.

"What's wrong?" I asked as I sat up and watched while she grabbed her shoes that had somehow gotten embedded into the sand.

Elliott didn't reply as she practically ran off toward the parking lot. I leapt out of the hammock and fast walked after her, my feet kicking up the ground beneath me. As I caught up with her, I noticed that Benjamin's car was no longer in the parking lot. I put a hand on her shoulder which caused her to jump, spinning around and glaring at me before she relaxed and release a loud sigh.

"I'm sorry," she breathed out as she rested a hand against her forehead and adjusted her weight between the balls of her feet. "I'm just... never mind."

"No, what?" I pushed, wondering what on earth could have caused this woman to run away like she did. However, instead of replying, she plastered a fake smile on her face as she folded her arms over her chest. I suddenly realized that she was uncomfortable with the situation she was in.

"I hate to ask this of you, but would you mind giving me a ride home?" Elliott asked as she avoided eye contact, looking everywhere but at me. "My phone and wallet were in his car so I can't order an Uber."

Chuckling softly, I nodded as I walked past her toward my ride. I stopped by my bike and grabbed the helmet, turning towards Elliott and extending it to her with a smile. I noticed the hesitant look in her eyes, but she reached for it nonetheless and slipped it onto her head. I reached forward and grabbed the straps, securing them under chin.

"If I had known a minute ago that you drove a bike, I probably would've walked home," she joked, but I could tell she was slightly nervous.

"Hey," I said softly as I tucked a finger beneath her chin to force her eyes up to mine. "I can order you an Uber if you're not comfortable with this."