chapter thirty four ... the l word

Evince (v

Evince (v.)
reveal the presence of a quality or feeling.
———

a few weeks later...

"How did you know you wanted to marry King?" I asked as I fell onto the couch and kicked my feet up on the coffee table.

"I don't think it was anything in particular. One day we were just out having lunch and when I looked at her, I just couldn't imagine anyone else sitting across from me. Why do you ask?"

I took a sip of my beer and avoided eye contact, staring at the television. I could feel Benjamin's eyes on me but I took a minute to collect myself as I sighed softly.

"I'm in love with her," I informed him.

Benjamin's smile grew as he leaned forward in the chair. "Are you serious? Fucking took you long enough to admit it."

"What are you talking about?"

"Dude, I could've told you this after karaoke night," he said with a roll of his eyes. I scoffed and shook my head but a small smile grew on my face. I knew he was right but for whatever reason I couldn't admit it to myself till now.

Getting up from the couch, I walked over to the kitchen. "How should I tell her?"

"Just whenever it feels right," Benjamin chuckled as he turned around in the chair to look at me. "But you should be prepared that she might not say it back."

My eyes widened slightly as I put my empty bottle in the sink before my eyes narrowed. I folded my arms over my chest as I leaned against the counter and swallowed the small lump that appeared in my throat.

"You don't think she loves me?" I questioned, defensively.

"No, I know for a fact she does but I'm just saying, knowing her, it may not be something that comes easily to her to say."

I cocked a brow as I pushed myself away from the counter. "Do you know something that I don't?"

"Coop, we all know she's had a rough go of things and that she slept around before she met you. It's kind of expected that she'd have a tough time admitting something like that."

Nodding, I knew he was right but it was hard to hear. All I wanted at this point and time was to tell her how much I loved her and hear her say it back but the more I thought of it, the more I knew that might be a pipe dream. But does that mean I didn't want to tell her?

"Quit overthinking it," Benjamin scolded, cutting off my thoughts. "Just take her out tonight and tell her."

Sighing, I pulled out my phone and sent Elliott a message.

Me: Want to go to the concert in the park tonight?

Elliott: I'd love to.