Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

"You're being dismissive and that makes it extremely difficult to have a conversation with you right now. How do I know that you won't start going on about how I'm wrong for even feeling the way I do."

"When have I ever done that? I've been fucking listening to you since this relationship started."

"Right because you listened to me when you fucked Aja right?"

I rolled my eyes, "okay now we're back to that. I didn't know what you wanted."

"I know you didn't, that's why I told you!"

"What is... I'm so confused right now. Why are we fighting? I'll go and get you all the cake in the world."

"I specifically wanted the one that I saved for myself. And yes you could get all the cake in the world but this is a pattern of behavior that's concerning to me. I'm going home."

"A pattern of—Hansen come on, it's not that serious."

Dinah rolled her eyes, "right because I was just arguing with you for the ambiance. Have a good night Normani."

"Dinah!" I shouted but it was too late. "I didn't even eat the damn cake. There was no cake in this damn refrigerator or I would have known!"

-

"What were we really fighting about? Because I didn't even eat the cake and I'm pretty sure there wasn't any."

One of her elbows rested on the armrest of her chair; she let her chin rest against her palm in a way that was so oddly unlike her. "Ana asked me to meet up with her to talk about you and Eli. I didn't stay, I shouldn't have gone in the first place because I knew what she wanted to talk about. And I guess that's why I've been a little short with you the last few days. You didn't deserve all that, I'm sorry."

"She wanted to talk about Eli and I getting back together?"

"Yeah."

"Is that something that you're worried about?"

Dinah slouched in her seat and let out something between a sigh and a groan. "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't, especially given how things have played out so far."

"What can I do? How do I reassure you that I'm not going to hurt you that way?"

"I don't think there's anything you can do other than everything that you've already been doing. Anyway, you should get some rest. You've been up since really early this morning."

"What will you do?"

She shrugged, "read a book, do some work, listen to music. The possibilities are endless."

"Wake me up when you get bored."

"I won't but I appreciate the offer beautiful."

"Oh and Dinah?"

She looked up at me, "yes?"

"Please don't ever throw stuff that I've done in the past in my face."

"I'm sorry, it won't happen again."

Dinah
It always amazed me how Normani fell asleep slowly and then all at once. She always tried to fight it at first, like she'd miss out on something if she closed her eyes for long enough, then her body would eventually give in and she'd finally rest.