Chapter 27: The Headhunter Part 1

Start from the beginning

Tatsumi: "Who is that?"

Mine: "You don't know who Zanku is? Wow you are ready from the countryside."

Sheele: "I don't know who he is either."

Mine: "Seriously, Sheele you probably just forgot. Zanku used to be the head executioner at the biggest prison in the Empire. He was in charge of beheading convicted people. The minister orders a lot of beheadings so Zanku was really busy cutting people's heads off. Over the years it got to him and Zanku went insane from all the killing. He left the prison and became a serial killer."

Najenda: "He is the serial killer that has been beheading people in the Capital as of late."

Tatsumi: "He must be strong. I heard some of the people that he has killed were guards."

Najenda: "While he is strong that is not the main problem. Zanku has a Teigu that he got from the warden of the prison when he left there."

Tatsumi: "What exactly is a Teigu?"

Akame thrusts her sword in front of Tatsumi, almost hitting him.

Akame: "This is a Teigu."

Tatsumi: "I am going to need a little more information than that."

Najenda: "Well you are one of us now so I suppose I should explain. When the first emperor that founded this Empire realized he would not live forever, he came up with a different plan. He gathered some of the greatest minds in the world at the time to create powerful weapons to protect his Empire. He gathered materials from S-class danger beasts as well as precious materials such as oricalcum. The emperor made 48 of these weapons which have come to be known as Teigu. Among them there is the One Hit Killer: Murasame which has Akame. A single cut from it inflicts a powerful cursed poison that kills the targets in seconds. There is no antidote. Leone has The King of Beasts Transformation: Lionelle, which grants the user the speed and strength of a wide animal. It also enhances the user's sense of smell. Bulat has the Demon Armor: Incursio, which is nearly impervious to attacks. It is so heavy that an ordinary person would be killed putting it on. Then there is Roman Artillery: Pumpkin that Mine has. It shoots off the emotional energy of its user as a blast of energy. The most powerful the emotions the stronger the blast. Lubboack has the Infinite Uses: Cross Tails which is a string based weapon. It is highly versatile. There is also Sheele's Cutter of Creation: Extase. These are powerful scissors that can cut through anything. They are also strong enough to be used for defense."

Tatsumi: "That is so cool. Do I get a weapon like one of these?"

Mine: "Do you think we just have a Teigu lying around to give to you?"

Tatsumi: "I guess not."

Najenda: "Don't worry you will likely be getting your own soon enough. Each Teigu has incredible powers that it gets from the beast that was killed to create it. In addition, some Teigu possess a trump card that is an additional power added to what they can already do. For example Icursio allows the user to become invisible."

Akame: "Do we know which Teigu Zanku has?"

Najenda: "We do not. Remember that the Teigu are so powerful that they have followed an ironclad rule ever since they were created. If two Teigu wielders engage each other in battle it always ends in the death of one of them. This means that while mutual death is a possibility, mutual survival is clearly not."

Bulat: "We should all go in groups of two for safety reasons."

Najenda: "The teams will be F/N and Tatsumi, Leone and Bulat, Akame and Lubbock, and Mine and Sheele. Make sure to kill the target."

With the assignments now made the team all head out to the Capital to hunt down and kill Zanku. It is night when they arrive in the Capital. F/N and Tatsumi are in charge of looking around the eastern part of the Capital. As they are searching for any sign of Zanku they are forced to avoid being spotted by any members of the Imperial police that are searching all over the Capital for Zanku.

After spending some time searching, F/N and Tatsumi stop to eat some of the food that they brought. F/N is eating a chicken leg while Tatsumi is eating a crepe. After eating, Tatsumi gets up. He says, "I will be right back." F/N replies, "What is natural calling or something like that?" The look on Tatsumi's face tells F/N that he is right. Tatsumi proceeds to walk down an alley near where the two of them are eating.

Fifteen minutes pass without Tatsumi coming back, which annoys F/N. He goes down the alley that Tatsumi went to and finds no sign of him. This makes F/N start to worry. He figures that Tatsumi has probably done something stupid like chase after Zanku himself. He hopes that Tatsumi will be alright as he is not sure how well Tatsumi will do in combat against Zanku. While F/N does not know what Teigu Zanku has, he figures whatever it is will give him a distinct advantage against Tatsumi in battle.