Chapter 49

* Catherine continued *

'I'll just get changed real quick ok' Jesse said.

'Sure' I replied simply.

'You can come inside you know' he smiled at me.

'I know, but if I did I wouldn't ever want to leave' I said softly.

Jesse shot me a thoughtful look and it seemed like he was going to say something but the words never came. Instead he turned and went back inside leaving me alone on his front step.

About 10 minutes later Jesse returned and handed me a towel and one of his hoodies which I gratefully took and as I noticed his trusty gym bag slung over his shoulder I couldn't help but feel hopeful.

Drying myself down as best I could I then slipped Jesse's hoodie over my head and we made our way to the car.

'It's a bit of a drive' I said sheepishly.

'I've got all the time in the world' he smiled back at me as he took my hand and laced his fingers through mine before resting both of our hands in his lap.

We had been driving for almost two hours now, not a word had been spoken aside from me giving Jesse the occasional direction, but just like it used to be our silence wasn't awkward, it was comfortable.

I still didn't know where I stood with Jesse but he hadn't let go of my hand since we got in the car, an action that I was taking as a good sign.

As we continued to drive along the highway the first high rises suddenly came into view and with that came the realisation that we were almost to our destination.

My heart started to pound in my chest, my breathing became heavy and I could feel my palms start to sweat as me eyes were instantly drawn to the sign ahead.

'Sun and Surf - Welcome to the Gold Coast'

Jesse suddenly pulled the car over to the side of the road and looked over at me, his hand still gripped tightly on mine.

'We can turn around' he said softly as his eyes searched my face.

'No' I said firmly as I felt a fresh wave of determination wash over me.

Jesse leaned over and placed a soft kiss on my lips.

'I got you' he whispered.

'Really?' I asked staring up at him intently.

'Always' he smiled as he ran a rough finger down my cheek.

Hearing those words and the sincerity behind them I knew, without a trace of doubt, that I'd made the right decision by bringing Jesse here, by telling him about Joe.

After another twenty minutes of driving we finally pulled into the car park at main beach, I took a deep breath before climbing out of the car as I stood waiting patiently for Jesse to join me.

He was quickly by my side and his hand was once more holding mine as I led him to the waters edge before taking a seat on the damp sand.

'It's a beautiful day' Jesse said as he admired the clear blue ocean before us.

'It usually is here' I smiled.

We sat for a while just enjoying the scenery, the warm ocean breeze whipped at my face and the corse sand scratched at my bare legs.

Taking a deep breath I decided now was as good a time as any as I decided to lay my soul bare to the green eyed boy.

'This is where I met Joe for the first time. Not that I really remember it' I said slowly.