Chapter 5

Jesse *

'Why did we have to move to this shit fuck town anyway!' I yelled heatedly.

'You know damn well why we moved Jesse!' My mother shouted back at me 'and don't you raise your voice at me young man!'

'I'm done with this shit! I fumed as I picked up my car keys and stormed off, slamming the front door behind me.

I climbed into my car and slammed my fists into the steering wheel.

'Fuck!' I grumbled, pulling my cap off I raked my hands through my hair before wearily leaning my head back against the seat and closing my eyes.

I sat silently for a few moments, taking in deep breath after deep breath, trying to calm myself down.

Of course mum was right, I knew exactly why we moved.

Me.

I'd been kicked out of my last school at the end of last year and asked not to return. Not even my prowess on the football field could save me that last time.

My mum and I had just moved from the city to the small town of Oxbury and after not even a week I was already not it's biggest fan.

Coming from the city to this small little town was like a shock to the system. We had lived in one of the shittiest neighbourhoods in the poorest end of the city, surrounded by drugs and violence.

It wasn't always that way though, things only got bad after my dad died, leaving my mum to try and keep herself together as well as raise me on her own.

Dad was the main bread winner in the family and once he was gone we couldn't afford the house we were in, we had to move to the only place we could afford, the south side. Mum had to work two jobs just to keep that shitty, broken down roof over our heads and food on the table.

In saying that though, she made sure I never went without.

With her working all the time, I was basically left to my own devices which inevitably led to me running with the wrong crowd and getting into trouble.

Cliche I know.

Actually it's really fucking pathetic to be honest.

I always promised myself that I would never end up like the strung out junkies I walked by on a daily basis, or the miserable alcoholics who I'd see passed out on their lawns as their young children played nearby, oblivious to the torment that surrounded them.

Yet I still managed to find trouble.

The only thing that kept me sane was football. I lived and breathed it.

It was my way out.

And that's how we ended up here, in the middle of fucking nowhere.

After my last suspension mum decided we needed to get out of the south side before I actually did something I couldn't come back from. She found this private school out of the city with a decent football program and she discovered they also offered scholarships. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst she sent off videos of me playing.

This was December of last year and after not hearing anything from the school for a good six weeks, mum started her search again.

I wasn't surprised though, nothing ever goes right for the poor kid from the south side.

Until two weeks ago.