Chapter 42

* Catherine continued *

Laying in Jesse's bed replaying this mornings conversation over in my mind I found myself talking to Joe.

'Was dad right Joe? I whispered into the empty room, a tiny bit of me hoping he would somehow reply.

I closed my eyes as dads words rattled around my confused mind.

It's ok to be happy.

Joe would want you to be happy.

As I continued to lay there my memories unwillingly drifted back to the first time I'd met Joe.

*** Flashback ***

I don't know how long after the vicious attack had finally ended that I had laid on the cold hard cement trembling, as tears streamed down my face. My mind couldn't comprehend what had just happened. I didn't know what time it was or even how badly I had been hurt. All I knew is that, thankfully, after the prick had gotten what he had wanted he ran off into the night.

Leaving me all alone, battered, bruised and broken.

After what felt like hours I finally decided to try and sit up, I didn't have any idea what I was going to do or where I was going to go but I knew that getting to my feet was a start.

As I sat I felt a sharp pain shoot through my ribs and stomach where he had kicked me, my head throbbed from having collided with both the pavement and his fists and as my body recognised the humiliating pain radiating between my legs a wave of nausea rolled over me. I turned and threw up every last thing in my stomach.

Wiping my mouth I gradually pushed myself to my feet, taking it slowly to try and avoid another wave of nausea.

Nope.

I was quickly bent over heaving into the blackness, having completely emptied my stomach only moments ago I was left dry heaving. My throat burned and my eyes stung but I continued to heave over and over into the darkness, it was like my body was trying to rid itself of the unwanted intrusion it suffered hours earlier.

Having somehow managing to stand I started off down the jogging path, slowly putting one foot in front of the other with no clear thought on where I was headed or what I was going to do.

I knew I should call for help, I knew I should try and make my way to a hospital but after what had just happened I couldn't bare the thought of anyone else touching me or judging me. The thought of having to explain that moment, having to relive what had just happened caused my body to heave once more.

I stumbled along the path until I finally found myself on the sandy shores of the beach, my eyes drifted out to the glistening blue ocean before me. As I watched the powerful waves crash into the shore I knew, in that moment, I wouldn't. No, I couldn't live with the humiliation and degradation that was coursing through my body.

The intense feelings washing over me felt like a living breathing animal raging inside my body, squeezing every last inch of anything good out of me.

As I continued to watch wave after wave pummel the coastline my mind instantly became clear and I felt an instant surge of power and control flare within me.

For the briefest of moments that demon that had suddenly taken form inside of me was instantly quiet as my feet took me to the waters edge.

Closing my eyes I took a small step, followed by another and another before I finally let the cool ocean water take control. As I let go one final thought played through my mind.