Chapter 6

* Catherine *

'Damn it, he isn't going to help' I mumbled to myself as I stared at the back of the stranger who was standing motionless a few steps ahead of me.

'Well it's your own damn stubborn fault' I thought dryly as I tried to ignore the now dull throbbing in my ankle.

As I sat there wondering if I could limp home I suddenly felt an arm wrap around me. As I looked up I saw the green eyed stranger standing over me, he placed his right arm around my back so his arm was now tucked under my armpits as he pulled me up off the ground.

'Put your weight on me' the stranger grunted.

I just nodded and wrapped my arm around his waist to balance myself.

As we hobbled in silence, to what I assumed to be his car, I was no longer focused on the pain in my ankle. All I could think about was how muscular his back felt under my arm and how strong his arm felt wrapped around my body.

We quickly made it to his car where he propped me up against the passenger side before he pulled open the door and helped me inside.

I know how stupid it is to get into a car with a stranger in the dark of night, especially after everything I had been through, but for some strange reason I didn't feel scared or nervous. Maybe all those sleepless nights had finally caught up to me and I had truely gone crazy.

Shaking those thoughts from my mind I settled in to the passenger seat as the green eyed stranger climbed into the drivers seat. As he was fixing his seatbelt I dared to sneak a peak at the boy who had helped me, through the dim moonlight I caught a small hint of a tattoo peaking out from the sleeve of his white T-shirt.

God I'm a sucker for tattoos.

Having noticed the ink on his skin I put his age at a year or two older than me, eighteen maybe nineteen perhaps.

Although I could be wrong, just because the legal age to get a tattoo in this country was eighteen that didn't necessarily mean anything.

I mean I was only seventeen and it didn't stop me from getting one. Thinking back to the day I got inked my free hand subconsciously rubbed the spot on my ribcage where my tattoo was.

Joe.

My Joe.

I sighed as I laid my head back against the passenger seat and closed my eyes.

*** Flashback ***

'Fuck I miss him Maddox' I said softly, slurring my words only slightly, my lips trembling as I held back the sob that was desperate to leave my body.

'I know Cat... fuck! Fuck.. God I miss him too' Maddox replied as he angrily wiped a tear from his eye.

'I... I just...' before I could even finish the tears started to once again pour down my cheeks.

It had been almost two weeks since Joe had died and I was sitting at 'our' spot with his best friend Maddox. I was heading home tomorrow and I knew without a doubt in my mind that I would never be coming back. So here I sat, drinking what feels like my thousandth bottle of vodka with Maddox trying to reminisce about all the good times we had with Joe, but both of us failing miserably.

These past two weeks here at the beach without Joe were the hardest two weeks of my life. I didn't want to eat or drink or even leave my bed. Every time I thought about Joe and the fact that he was gone it felt like my skin was pulled too tight across my body and that no matter how deep a breath I took I still felt like I couldn't breathe. The pain was all consuming, it was suffocating and I didn't know how to stop it.