Chapter 47

* Catherine continued *

I practically bounded out of bed the next morning and raced to school, I was there almost an hour earlier than I needed to be but I didn't care. I waited patiently by the school gates for Jesse to arrive but he never did.

He didn't turn up to school that day or the next.

Laying in bed I heard my alarm go off and as I grudgingly opened my eyes and heard the sound of rain drops battering against my bedroom window I realised the weather was just as miserable today as I was.

It had been three days since I had seen or spoken to Jesse and with each unanswered phone call and text I felt my heart crack even more. I hadn't slept these last few days, not just because I missed that damned green eyed boy so much it physically hurt but because my nightmares came screaming back.

It was like the fucked up universe decided I wasn't suffering enough so it decided to throw those horrendous memories back into the mix.

On top of all of that today was Joe's birthday.

Had he lived he would have been nineteen today.

Joe.

My Joe.

My thoughts were quickly interrupted by a soft knock on my bedroom door.

'I'm awake' I grumbled as I looked over to see my dad step into my room.

'Morning little one. Look I'm sorry to do this, on today of all days but I got called back to work' he said quietly.

'Do you really have to go dad? Can't you leave tomorrow?' I asked with sad eyes.

'I'm sorry little one but the only flight I can get leaves today' he replied as he sat on the edge of my bed.

I just nodded, trying to fight back the tears. I knew dad wouldn't leave if he didn't have to and I didn't want to make him feel any worse then I'm sure he already did.

I buried my head into my pillow hoping to hide the tears that were leaking from my eyes.

'Remember the day your brother met Joe for the first time?' Dad started as a small smile played on his lips.

'How could I forget' I laughed softly.

'If I recall correctly you two had just had a massive water fight out the back, you both ran around laughing and carrying on like a pair of crazy people' dad continued on.

'Yeah and then you yelled at us to get inside because dinner was ready and I went to the bathroom to change while Joe went to my room' I interrupted with a smile.

'And that was the exact time Christian went looking for you and he walked into your bedroom and lost his mind thinking he'd found a naked boy in your room' he chuckled.

'He completely lost his shit, he went searching through my cupboard and under my bed looking for me swearing black and blue. Hearing all his yelling I stuck my head out of the bathroom door to see what all the fuss was about only to find Christian chasing a naked Joe down the hall' I laughed.

'Damn if that boy didn't still come and sit at the dinner table and eat with us, even after flashing his goods to everyone' dad smiled.

'Most awkward dinner I've ever had' I smiled wistfully.

'I don't know who was more embarrassed your brother or Joe' dad chuckled.

We sat together for a little while longer reminiscing about Joe, talking about the fun and laughter he always managed to bring into our lives. That was Joe though, there was never a dull moment when he was around, that boy had lived his life too the fullest almost as if he knew it would be cut far too short.