Chapter 2

* Catherine *

I sat at my desk absentmindedly tapping my pencil as I gazed out of the classroom window.

It was such a beautiful day outside, the sun blaring down without a cloud in the sky, but then again it's always sunny in Queensland.

'A beautiful day to be at the beach' I sighed longingly to myself, closing my eyes briefly as the image of a perfect wave flashed before me.

'Miss Hudson, care to rejoin us' my grumpy old English teacher said sternly from the front of the classroom.

'Sorry' I mumbled under my breath, as I returned my focus to the board.

I could hear a few snickers from the desks at the back of the room, I knew who they belonged to but I didn't care. If they thought the teacher calling me out in class had embarrassed me, they were wrong.

I didn't care what they thought about me.

If I was being really honest with myself I didn't care what anybody at this stupid school thought about me.

I used to, but not anymore.

Not since that night.

I shivered involuntarily as the memories of that night tried to force their way into my mind for a second time today, but I put an end to that shit real quick.

Two times already today those god awful, traumatic memories that I work so hard to lock away had threatened to creep their way to the forefront of my mind. Realising that it had happened twice before lunch time I decided that today was most definitely going to be a really shitty day.

Ignoring both my painfully dull English teacher and the irritatingly high pitched whispers from the group of girls sitting behind me, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Instead of sitting in this stuffy classroom I found myself wrapped up in vivid memories of floating peacefully on my surfboard, feeling sea air whip against my tanned skin and the fresh water of the vast blue ocean lap at my limbs.

It was only Monday and knowing I wouldn't be able to hit the surf for a good five days yet, caused a sad sigh to leave my lips.

Then, like a sucker punch to the stomach I realised I wasn't ever going to make that two hour trip to the beach ever again. Remembering with an even deeper sadness that he wasn't there.

'Yo babe, you in there?' A deep voice whispered beside me as I felt a rough but firm hand rubbing my thigh.

Flinching slightly at the contact on my body, I quickly composed my self in the hopes that the boy sitting next to me didn't notice.

I nodded my head slightly and forced a small smile to my lips as I glanced down at the hand that was still gently stroking my thigh.

Letting out a soft sigh, my eyes moved up from his hand following the muscular planes of his arms until they took in the full picture of the boy sitting beside me. From his tall, tanned body with muscles that seemed to constantly battle with his tight school shirt for release, to his deep brown inquisitive eyes and perfectly tussled brown hair. Begrudgingly I came to the same conclusion I always did; Beau was the star attraction of many girl's fantasies, not that I could blame them because objectively speaking he was just plain sexy.

One would think it was the fact that this attractive football player, the type of guy I once used to drool over, had placed his hand so intimately on my thigh that made me flinch.

But they would be wrong, because even though Beau was the quintessential teen heartthrob in every sense of the word, I felt absolutely no attraction to him what so ever.