Ice Me Out

I watched as Chez fought back tears the following day. I probably had a blank expression on my face 'cause I was too busy monitoring hers. She couldn't even look at me, she just looked down at her hands. "Mick, what... what the fuck?" she asked, before letting a few sobs out. I was just a little bit over the dramatics, but it confirmed that I had made the correct decision. She eventually picks her head back up and stares at me for a few minutes. Her face looks so different like this. I'd seen her cry before, but this seemed different. She looks at the baby blue box sitting atop the table in front of her once again, and took a second to regain her composure.

"So, you gon' make me open it for you, or what?" I ask, rhetorically. I knew she'd eventually get to the box, but she just had to get over herself first. It was funny, because she was the one who acted like I was dramatic about getting gifts, and here she was, just as shocked about getting nice things, as I was. Seeing it firsthand made me realize that I probably overreacted to gifts as well. I just wanted to give her stuff, see her smile, and continue the fun. Crying kind of puts a bit of a damper on things, even if they are happy tears. Honestly, I was curious as to what the surrounding folks thought I said to her to make her react like that. I turn my attention back to her, and she was still eyeing the box.

I gently push the box, closer to her side of the table and smile widely. I wanted to see the look on her face when she saw what was actually in the box. "Open it." I suggest. She finally wipes her face and stares at me as she reaches for the box. "Micki... you didn't have—" she began. "I already did, so... open it." I replied. She chuckled softly, but she only fiddles around with the bow on top of the box.

I extend my arms across the table to hold her hands. "What's going through your mind?" I ask her. Some of her hair falls down as she shakes her head. "I didn't expect all this. You went to Tiffany's for me? Mick, I can't accept that!" she said. "You're worth it. Just know that." I respond, with an even bigger smile. 
"I know you did not spend all this on me when you got bills." she says. "Did you just use my own line on me?" I asked. We both went into a fit of giggles. "Open the box, girl." I remind her.

This time she began to open the box. When she sees what's in it, she gasps. In the box were two gold necklaces, and a single gold bracelet. All of the jewelry had nameplates. One of the necklaces read Chez, the other read Mick and the bracelet read Lilo. She covers her mouth and lets more tears fall. I get up from my side of the booth and sit on hers. "I can't stand your ass for making me cry like this." she said, leaning into my now open arms. I giggled. "You like it?" I ask. "I love it. Thank you." she said, looking up at me. I take that opportunity to give her a peck. "Let's put one of 'em on." I suggest, reaching for the necklace that said my name on it. I put it around her neck and clasped the hooks together. And then we sit there for a while, whispering sweet nothings to each other. I revel in it. "You know this is one of my favorite versions of you, right?"
"What, you like me being a baby?"
"Vulnerable, Chez. Vulnerable. I love this more chill side of you. I ain't heard you say anything slick in like ten minutes."
She chuckles softly again, but sniffles at the same time. "Call it what it is, I'm being fucking soft." she said. "I don't like this version of me, it makes me feel like I'm not in control." I nod slowly, knowing exactly how she feels. "It's like... the realization has set in that you're invested in whatever this is. It's the worst feeling ever when coupled with uncertainty. Believe me, I know. " I respond.
She sniffles. "Yeah. I probably should've said this when you were talking about how scared you were, but I'm nervous about our relationship, too. I would really hate to fall so hard and then wind up with a broken heart. I'm always thinking I'm gonna wind up being by myself, without any sort of love in my life." I rub her back to comfort her. "You ever felt like that, Mick?" she asks. I think for a second. "No. I figured I'd find it eventually, and I just had fun with people in the meantime." I admit.

"You remember the day you called into work, 'cause I asked you to stayhome with me?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I do."
"Then we got in the shower and I told you it was safer for me, if you stayed home. Remember?" she asks.

Yeah, I remembered. She shut down immediately after, saying that she would get into it some other time. I never forgot how it felt to wanna talk her through whatever trauma she was experiencing, but not being allowed to. But I guess now seemed like the perfect time to bring it back up.

"I, um... I can't... be home alone." she admits. She looks up at me, while I process this information.

I was more confused than anything at this revelation. "Okay, what do you mean? Like, ever? Or just at night?"

"Ever, Mick. I just abhor the feeling I get when I walk into a house with nobody else in it. Obviously there's more to the story, and I'll go deeper into it in the future."

I furrow my eyebrows, even more confused as to why she won't tell me the whole story in one go. I start to say something, but she put her index finger on my lips.

"Look, I know you wanna unpack everything right now. I'm not really ready for all that right now. I will go deeper into detail when I feel more comfortable. Okay?"
"Okay." I responded. She pecks me on the lip. "Thank you for everything you've done for me, Mick. I love you."
"I love you, too." I reply. Our little moment was cut short by the waitress, who brought us our dessert in to-go plates, as well as the check. "Thank you." I said to her. She smiles sweetly and walks off. I open my wallet and pull some bills out to cover the meal and the tip. Then, Chez and I walk out to the car, hand in hand with our desserts in the other.

As we approach my car, I hand my takeout box to Chez. I had just remembered that I needed to go in the trunk of my car to move something and put it up front, so I wouldn't forget to bring it in the house. I was supposed to do it before we left, but of course I forgot. So, I knew I needed to do it while it was still on my mind. The messed up part was that I couldn't remember what I needed to get from the trunk. I knew I'd probably remember once I looked through it. I unlocked the trunk and looked around for a second and saw what I needed to move. It was the—

I was jolted out of my thoughts when I hear a set of quickened footsteps. When I turned to see what was going on, I was met with a sharp pain. I was knocked off my feet, falling face-first. I tried to crawl to safety, despite the searing pain I was now experiencing, but I was too weak to go on. I hear a hysterical scream over the loud ringing noise in my ears. I tried so hard to focus all my energy on getting myself out of this situation, but then darkness takes over me.