Booby Trap

As I enjoyed the last bit of my grilled cheese sandwiches, I finally decided to hit Tina back by calling her. It's not like I wanted to talk to her at all but if I didn't hit her back, all she would do is continue to bother me. So I asked her what it was she wanted, because I was genuinely clueless. She replies that she wants to meet up with me, as she had stated before. When I asked why, she just demanded I meet with her at her crib. I told her that hell would freeze over before I stepped foot in her house again and I was dead serious about that. I know that I said the same thing about falling in love with somebody but I have less control over that. See, most of the time falling in love requires no effort; you fall in love even when you don't want to. I have control over where I go. In other words, Tina was gonna have to pick another venue for our meeting 'cause her own house was a no go. After relaying this information to her she sighed heavily, like I was just getting on her damn nerves. Well, she oughta consider this payback. But then she suggested we meet up at the office. I rolled my eyes at that suggestion but at least we would be on my turf. It wouldn't be super crazy for her to be seen in my office considering she was technically a client. I tell her to meet me there in an hour and she surprisingly agreed to it with no pushback. I cleaned up my mess and headed to my room to get dressed. Originally I was gonna stay home so I decided to go with a casual look today. Nobody would trip about it especially because I'm not hosting a mixer today. I pick out a blank white tee and some light blue jeans with some white plain Keds. I didn't even bother to mess with my hair, leaving it in the raggedy bun it was already in. I grabbed the first pair of sunglasses I saw. It wasn't even sunny but I was gon' still wear the shit out of these black shades. On my way out the door, I grabbed my phone and keys. I made sure to lock the door just in case Mystery Motherfucker decides they want to actually get inside my house this time. I then hopped inside my car with an attitude. I didn't even feel like doing all this right now, but I figured I should do something aside from being in the house all day. Besides, I couldn't shake the fact Sydney saw me naked in my living room. Of course we'd seen each other naked a million times but it was just as horrifying each time for one of us and completely embarrassing for the other. I could stand to get my mind off of that for a little bit.

A while later, I arrive at Luv, Inc. I was annoyed for a few reasons. First, I had come here on my day off. Second, I didn't think this meeting with Tina was going to be a good one. The third reason is I knew I would stay here and try and get some work done. I was not a person who liked to waste their time. If I'm gonna come to the office, I may as well get something done. Besides, I could always use some extra hours. I don't have a kid or pets or a girlfriend to take up my time. I mean... I guess I had a girlfriend. I know Chez didn't necessarily break up with me but I still wasn't sure what was going on with us. How would I know when my weird feelings about my ex are completely gone? Shit, Tina and I had been broken up for a good minute. When are these feelings supposed to go away? What if they never did? Then, what? Me and Chez officially call it quits? What if I just called her and told her the feelings were gone? Would she believe me? This whole situation stresses me the hell out.

Just then, I had decided to look at the bright side of this whole meeting situation. At least I'd find some answers, or at least that's what I'm hoping for. I turn my car off before taking off my seatbelt and exiting. Before I walked into the building I locked my doors. I exchanged pleasantries with a few coworkers before spotting Syd in her office, talking on the phone. I was surprised to see her back. She could've told me she was coming back so I could keep an eye on her. I raise an eyebrow at her when she catches me in her line of sight and continued towards my office door. When I insert my key and turn the knob to my office, I hear the front door open again. I heard a voice exchanging pleasantries with the other staff and immediately I recognized the voice as Tina's. I sighed as I opened the door and left it open for her to come in after me. I took the seventy eighth deep breath that day and sat in my big official looking office chair. As I expected, Tina came into the office a good forty six seconds later, shutting the door behind her. She was wearing a tight black dress that accentuated her breasts, with some generic golden studs in her earlobes as well as a gold chain. She decided that dark red lipstick would set the look off, and she was right. Her lipstick color matched her hair and her nails. Her lips curve into a smile when she realizes I'm staring at her. "So, you gon' offer me a seat, or what?" she asks, coyly. I resist the urge to roll my eyes. "Please, take a seat." I say. "Which seat?" she asks, knowingly. There was only one other chair in the office, and I figured out pretty quickly that the other seat she was referring to was my face. I was too stressed to be playing around with her. "The actual one, please." I replied. She then saunters over to the chair across from me. When she sits down I massage the bridge of my nose. "Um... so, you wanted to talk?"

Tina bites her lip. "Yeah, yeah I did. First of all I just wanted to apologize for what I said the other night. I..." she paused, trying to string words together. "I shouldn't have accused you of trying to mess stuff up for me. I mean, you understand the optics of how this looks, right?"

I rolled my eyes. "I get all that but you should know that  even I am not that petty." I replied.

"No, I get it now." Tina assured me. "But... the other night... it sparked something in me that I thought was just gone, y'know? I just couldn't get you out of my mind. I couldn't focus on anybody or anything else."

Wow, so it wasn't just me. She got hit with the nostalgia too.

"I saw you chugging that wine down like a madwoman and immediately it took me back to the old days. Y'know how we'd get drunk and ..." she trailed off, smiling at me. Against my will, I smiled in response. Of course I remembered that shit. I wasn't much of a drinker but when I did, wild shit always went down. It almost always ended up with somebody face down in one of my pillows, and one or both of my hands cupping somebody's ass cheeks, strapping them down within inches of their life. For a good long while, it had been Tina on the receiving end of all this. And now, it seemed like she wanted that back in her life. I tried to keep from chuckling because I didn't come here for all this. "Yeah, what about it?" I asked, once again looking ahead with a straight face. "Well, I just wanted to see what you thought about trying it over, y'know? As real adults." I chewed on my lip at the thought but I don't answer her. I just stare her dead in her face for a good thirty seconds. "Try it again, you say?"

I tried to think about exactly how this would go before giving her my answer. She wants me back because she saw me guzzling glasses of wine down? It reminded her of how good I was in bed? She had nothing to say about how great of a partner I was, or how beautiful I was to her. She just misses my touch. I sit back in my seat as I try to figure out how I'm going to remind her of our most recent encounter. For a second I considered not even going through all that because it's not like she forgot. But, in an effort to sway me, she gets up. I thought she was heading for the door but in reality she was just making her way over to me. "You gon' give me a hug goodbye, at least?" she asked. I rolled my eyes but stood up to oblige her. I gave her a real hug, and took in her scent. She had definitely tried to pull some shit today because she had on her snatch-a-nigga perfume. That was her go-to perfume whenever she wanted to catch somebody's attention. It smelled light and fruity, but not in the bath and bodywork sense. This smell was much more mature, it seemed. After Tina hugged me tight, she put her hands on my face and sneaked a kiss. She put her red lips on top of mine and to my surprise, I was kissing her back.