Mother (Sometimes) Knows Best

After Sydney goes back to her office and I go back to mine, I just happen to glance out the window to spot someone in all black near my car. I rush out of the building to see who it was, but the mystery person was already gone. There was a an envelope on my windshield, though. It was was pink and girly and annoying. See, if this person loves me so goddamn much, they would know I hate corny shit. Flowers and cards and chocolate don't work for me...well, chocolate is cool, but I don't like this type of thing very much. If this person didn't know where I lived, where I worked, and how my car looks, I would think these gifts were meant for someone else. They were definitely for me though. If I ever thought otherwise, the envelopes had always said 'My dearest Michaela'. I went back into my office to try to concentrate on scheduling more mixers and more dates. Devon really seemed to get my message about him trying to hit and quit women, since he called in to let me know that his date with Valerie was lovely. I was smiling the whole time he gushed about her. I congratulated him and hung up. I was glad I had tomorrow off. I was kinda nervous about meeting my girl's family, but I was excited, too! I was gonna meet her daughter. It was definitely a step towards being a more serious couple.
___

The next day, I woke up with butterflies in my stomach. I was scared shitless of what Duchesne's family would think of me. Normally, I wouldn't care what someone thought of me, outside of my family and close friends. Even then I did whatever I wanted, but today I had to impress my girl's family. She had already made it clear that family is important to her. If they hated me, there's a huge possibility she would break it off with me. I didn't want that to happen. I had grown to really like her. I mean, we had great chemistry in the bedroom and outside and I didn't wanna lose it. So, I was gonna have to be on my best behavior.
After getting out of the shower and brushing my teeth, I argued with myself on what to wear. I looked perfectly fine in anything but I really wanted to be presentable enough for Chez and her family's liking. Did I wanna go ultimate casual, or semi formal? Semi formal is too extra for a cookout, probably. I decided to go with the casual look. I also didn't wanna appear like I don't care, either. But also, it's just going to be a cookout. It wasn't like we'd be in some fancy restaurant.

I finally picked out a peach button up with a white undershirt and khakis. I left my curls alone today and wore my hair down. Then, I put on some black shades and slid my feet into my plain black flip flops. After I got dressed, I called Chez and let her know I was gonna be over in a few minutes.

I grabbed my wallet, keys, and cell phone and headed to the car. On the way over, I was nervous as fuck. I was still thinking of how many ways this whole day could turn into shit. I'd never met anyone's mom, aside from Sydney's. Tina's mom died before we even got together. I didn't know what I would do if Chez's mama didn't like me. What if her daughter was a complete nightmare? I had to call Syd before I brought on a whole damn anxiety attack.

"Yo..." she greets me.

"Girl, I am nervous as fuck. I've never met any of my girlfriends' parents!" I confessed.

"Chill, Mick. It's easy as pie. All you gotta do is be yourself." she said, confidently.

"You've met your past girls' parents?"

"Yes," she replied. "Macy's parents love me. When she died, they were more concerned about me, when they were the ones who lost a child."

We sit in silence for a minute.

"Well, you okay?" I ask, concerned. It had been some time since the loss, but I still wasn't sure if Sydney was okay.

She sighed before answering. "Yeah, I'm fine. I definitely still miss her, but I'm fine."

"Okay. You sure you don't need anything?"

She chuckles. "I'm sure, Mick. Just go and enjoy yourself. They're hilarious and they're easy to please. Now, granted, I wasn't fuckin' her, so this situation may turn out differently. I don't see it going bad, though." she says.