Fiona v. Sydney

I followed Mike to Syd's office. He was going to break the news that Fiona would be visiting the office once again and I had to see this shitshow for myself. Mike has asked her to please stay cool around his wife. Syd shrugged. "Aye, Mike, I'm good as long as she doesn't talk to me." Mike turned back to me while I gave him a stupid look. I told him he was gon' have trouble with her when it came to Fiona. "Syd, I'm gonna introduce her to everybody. Could you please find it in your heart to give her short and pleasant responses?" he pleads with her.

"You want me to give her more than one pleasant response? Oh, fuck that. Not happening."
I crack up at her. Mike gives up. "I'm going to get my wife, and Syd I'm just going to put my trust in you that you can put on a happy face at least for a few minutes. At least. Okay?" he said, before leaving. Now, it's just me and Syd in her office. "She has some nerve coming back here after disrespecting us. I'm supposed to be fake and act like I forgot? Fuck that, I'm not wit' it." she declares.
I shrugged my shoulders. "It's just gonna be a few minutes, Syd. You got this. She could've gone about speaking to us a different way, but that's over now." I said.

"I will try my hardest, Mick. I need a damn drink." Sydney says.
I stare holes into her.
"Alright, damn. I can settle for a Sprite."
"Speak of the devil." I say when Fiona came through the door only a few minutes later.
Today she had worn a simple white dress and a black belt over her stomach. She'd also styled her hair into a French roll with a fancy butterfly clip. She also wore wedges, towering over her husband.
Mike held her by the waist and reaquainted his wife with me. "This is my co-worker, Micki. You met her last time."

"Oh, hello." she says, trying to be polite.

I looked up to acknowledge her. "Hi, nice to see you. How are the kids?"
Fiona smiles. "They're fine. Jaques just made honor roll and Helena just graduated to grade school."
"Oh, wow. That's awesome." I replied.

Surprisingly, Fiona didn't seem to remember that she freaked out on Sydney because she liked women, and found out that I, too, was a homo. Huh, we might actually get through this little reunion without someone dying.
After a few more minutes of fake ass small talk, she and Mike walked over to Sydney, who had an attitude already. I took a deep breath. I walked near them, but stated a safe distance away.

"Fiona, this is Sydney, you've seen her already." Mike began. I could tell he was trying to keep the interaction as short as he could to protect his wife.

"Yeah, I remember her." Fiona says to Mike.

"Yeah, hey." Syd said quickly, making for an awkward silence. Then Fiona looked at Mike. He gave her the signal to go ahead and say what she had to say.
She looks straight at Sydney who is making zero eye contact. "I would like to apologize for my behavior. I didn't realize how ignorant I sounded."

"You did sound pretty uneducated." Syd responded. "I mean.. thanks." she said, with a fake smile.

Fiona's mouth tightened, but she decided against giving up right away. "I'm serious, I am really appalled that I displayed such ignorance."

"And I'm supposed to just take that and run? No." Sydney said, matter-of-factly. She must've watched me walk over here because she immediately turned her head to me and I made a face at her. Is this girl serious? Could she not put the petty aside for five measly minutes? All Sydney did was shrug her shoulders.

"..I tried, Michael." Fiona says to her husband.

"How 'bout you try to rot in Hell." Syd spat, with anger in her eyes.

I go to grab Sydney by her arm.

"I apologize for her behavior, y'all." I said, before pushing her into a nearby empty room.
"Sydney, what is going on with you? Do you want Mike to be mad at you?"

"I could care less. He needs to check his bitch."

"C'mon Syd, that's his wife and you're his friend!" I exclaimed.

"....And?" Syd asks. Then she sits on the table and sighs dejectedly. "My bad. I'm just annoyed that her ignorant ass still gets to live and breathe, while my girl actually had an open mind. She donated to charity, volunteered. and worked with troubled teens."

I looked at her like she was crazy. "Sydney, what does that have to do with anything? I know you're still grieving, but you cannot take your anger out on the world. Fiona was trying to apologize, and what do you do? Cuss her ass out. Syd, you gotta grow up a little."

LATER THAT NIGHT

I'm laid up with Chez telling her everything that went on at work. My head rested on her right arm. I took this same arm and wrapped it around me, interlocking her fingers with mine out of boredom when I was talking. I had once again vented about what was going on in my life.  "She stresses me out with all this extra shit she does, you know?" I said, looking up at her.
"When did you become her mama?" Chez responded, meeting my gaze.

I just laid there silently until I could
find the words to answer that question.

"I just feel so protective of her. We've been friends a long time, and I always felt the need to just look out for her, y'know? I can't just turn that off."

Chez wraps her other arm around me. "I would never ask you to stop looking out for your friend, but you have to give her room to actually mess up before you swoop in with your Captain Save 'Em cape on. She. Is. Grown. When you gon' get that through your thick skull? Huh?" she asks.

"So what, I'm supposed to shake off my protectiveness? How would you feel if your daughter was 23, and I told you she was old enough for you to back up out of her life?"

Chez rolled her eyes. "It's not the same, but even if it was you'd still do best to let people make a mess first, before trying to prevent them from making one at every turn. That's how people learn what not to do." she said. I groaned. She was right. I didn't like how everyone else was coming up with better solutions than I was these days.

I suck my teeth. "I don't feel like I have to be Syd's mom, per se. I look after her like she's  a younger sibling, except she's older." I confessed.

"I know how you feel. She does have some growing up to do, as do you." she said, chuckling.

"Me?" I asked. "What do you mean?"

"You still hiding us from Sydney?"
"I wouldn't call it hiding. She doesn't know about us, though." I admitted.

She groans. "Why are you hiding us from Sydney? She's the one that hooked us up. I would assume that meant she wanted us to be together. We're together now, so I fail to see why we can't share it. We're all over the town all the time, with our hands all over each other. How is it that you're okay with everyone except your best friend seeing it?" She had been sitting up now. "I don't like lying to her about us."
I sat up, too. "I'm sorry. I'm just really competitive with bets. I just knew I was gonna prove her wrong. But my feelings got involved and confused everything."

She gets up from the bed. I had tried to prevent it by trying to grab onto an arm, and then a leg, but was unsuccessful. "I need you to tell her, Mick." she said, standing on the  side of the bed with her arms crossed.
"Fine." I said, in a defeated tone.
"I'm giving you 48 hours." Chez said, before walking off. I watched as her little butt cheeks and peeked out of her boy shorts and her durag flaps blew in the wind. I sighed in defeat.
After that, I decided that it would be perfectly fine if I had been struck by lightning and found my way into heaven. That was how far I was willing to go to avoid proving Sydney right.