Surprise

Before I got to work Friday morning, I completely dreaded it. I was swamped in work, and the thought of returning to it, got on my damn nerves. I'd been meeting with different people throughout the whole week. I was meeting clients and they were discussing their dates with me. Then, I was talking to the suitors, just to hear their point of view on how the date went. A lot was going on, but at least I could say most of the mixers provided positive results. Even Devon Byrd had a good result stem from his dates. I had been working my ass off all morning. When I found a minute to breathe, I sat with Sydney in her office, commiserating with her, talking about how crazy it was today. She wasn't having a very smooth day, either. As soon as noon hit, she looks behind me, but continues talking to me. "Finally, it's lunch time." she declares, smiling.
"You wanna go somewhere? I'm thinking Mosely's or something. Syd stifles a giggle. "No."
Immediately I felt dissed. "Why?" I asked, with an attitude. I had a frown on my face, and she had about five seconds to turn it upside down! She tries, yet fails to stifle a giggle. "What is so funny?" I asked. Just then, I feel a hand on my shoulder and jump. I whip my head around quickly to see who the hell I was going to curse out.

Standing behind me was Duchesne Carroll. I rolled my eyes, while she spun my chair around to face her. She had been wearing an orange button up shirt, halfway buttoned up to reveal black wifebeater under it. She's also wearing white cargo shorts and plain black shoes. "What?" I asked.
"I'm here to take you out, as promised." she said. I look at her stupid. "I told you I wasn't going." I said, defiantly.
"And I told you that this wasn't optional. You can like it or not like it, but we are going to hash this out one way or the other." she declares, extending her hand out to me. I look at her hand, wondering why she is waiting on me to grab it. "No, I have way too much to do, here." I said.
"I got it, Mick." Syd says. I spin around so I can show her the stink eye I was giving her. She chuckles. "You've been working so hard. As a matter of fact, go on this date and don't bring your ass back until Monday."
"But..." I began to protest. Syd smiles and shakes her head. "No excuses, Michaela. Don't worry about Mr. Prynne, I'll cover you. I got your back just like you had mine." she says. Then I recalled when I had taken on some of her work while she was in mourning. I smirked. "You knew about this, didn't you? You sneaky bastard." I said, under my breath. Syd cracks up. "Yes, now go. Get out before I take the damn date." she said, folding her arms. Chez spun me around to face her again, and extended her hand again. I decided to accept my fate and grab her hand. She grinned as soon as our hands touched. She lifted me up and brought me in for a quick hug. I think she was afraid that if she did anything more than that I'd stab her. And maybe I would. I still hadn't gotten my feelings sorted out.

She takes my hand again and leads me out of the office and into her car. She closed the door on my side. While she walked around to the other side of the car, I rolled the hell outta my eyes. I wanted to kill Sydney for being a part of this, but it would just have to wait until I got back. Chez squeals as she gets settled in the car and pulls out of the parking lot. "You're gonna love it!" she says. The whole way there, she's making light conversation with me.
We pulled over, which confused me. "What's wrong?" I asked her. "You trust me?" she asked. "Not on the side of this road in the middle of nowhere, I don't." I say. Chez chuckles. "You know I would never do anything to hurt you, right? At least, not physically. I know I've said stuff, but I'm not really like that."
"I know that, but I still can't get myself to truly get behind this." I admit. "Thank you for being honest with me. Now, reach into that glove compartment and put on the blindfold."
"Blindfold? What kind of freaky shit are you into?" I ask.
She licks her lips. "You already know the answer to that." she said, giggling when she sees my lack of obvious non-amusement. "I need you to put it on so it doesn't ruin the surprise."
"If I feel any bit of uneasy, I'm taking it right off." I warn. "That's fine, Mick. Put it on." she insists. Even though the cloth blocked most of my view, I could still see most of the excited expression on Chez's face. I fixed the cloth to fully cover my eyes and folded my arms. "Thank you." she said, before starting the car and moving forward again.

A few minutes later, the car stops. "Okay, we're here. How do you feel?" Chez asks me. "Horrified and hungry." I reply.
"Well, we'll resolve both of those feelings in a minute." she says, in a cheery voice. She helped me get my seatbelt off. Then she gets out of the car and I hear the door shut. Then, mine is opened, and I feel a hand lift me from my seat. "Go back three steps, Mick. There's a car right next to us, so I don't have much room to shut the door." Chez warns. I walk backward and stretch my other hand out to feel how far this car is. Turns out it wasn't very far at all. I hear the door slam and the sound of a car being locked. Then I feel someone pulling me forward. A few seconds later, Chez warns me there's a curb, so I use my foot to determine where it was. After I do that, I successfully walk up the curb. Chez now interlocks her own arm in mine, squealing in excitement. A minute later, I'm hearing a lot of conversation amongst people. When we come to a stop, I hear louder indistinct conversation, and silverware being clanked against plates. We came to a restaurant, hallelujah. And it smelled good in here, too. She finally lets me take the blindfold off. I was shocked to see my environment. It was an extremely upscale restaurant. It wasn't so upscale that everybody was in expensive, formal clothing, but it wasn't the typical, local burger joint, either. She walks up to the hostess and gives them her last name, meaning we had a reservation. I smile at how serious she took this whole reconciliation thing. The hostess takes us back to our table, and told us our waitress will be by in a couple minutes.
I took my seat, and she took the other. We look at the menus in front of us, to decide what we're gonna eat. When I looked at the prices of some of this stuff, I was genuinely baffled. They wanted like $29 for a piece of chicken with some sauce and parsley on it. Then they want $34 for a piece of lamb and mashed potatoes. I flipped around the menu and decided I'd get salmon along some broccoli, potatoes, and macaroni and cheese. The drink I'd settled on was lemonade. I wasn't interested in any wine or anything. It just wasn't my thing. I put my menu down and stared at Chez. When she saw I was looking at her, she put her menu down. "This place is so expensive," I said. "It's sickening."
Chez chuckles. "Only the best for my baby." she said. I blushed against my will. "So, you decide what you want yet?" she asks.
I nod my head.
She puts her menu down.
"Me, too." she says, eyeing me.