Ridin' Round

After finally getting myself cleaned up, I tossed the dirty clothes in the washer and turned it on. By now I'd found some old pajamas of Syd's and put that on. Thank God she still had some brand new generic underwear left in a pack. I made a mental note to reimburse her later. I walk slowly to the couch and tried to think of ways to ease my mind. Just then, I hear the ping of my phone. It had been fully charged now. I went right to it and immediately checked to see if I could find Chez's location. Nothing was working. I grunt in complete frustration. I tried to calm myself down and quit panicking, since I knew that Syd went to go look for Chez, but I felt like I should be out there, as well. I was dog tired, but I couldn't bring myself to sleep. How could I, when she was clearly in danger? I thought of what she sounded like when she answered the call— the strange sounds she'd made. I wondered what she was trying to say. To figure it out, I tried again to remember all I could about what had happened when I was in Jane's house—- what she said, how she said it, what she did, and how she did it.

This kitchen was the most decorated I'd ever seen. I'd seen pictures of a family standing together, crowding around a large fish. My guess was they caught it themselves during a family day at the lake. I looked around at the other picture, which was a hand painted depiction of a typical breakfast meal, a couple slices of bacon, a sunny side- up egg, and some sausage. On the side of the plate was a white mug, with what looked like a fist printed on it. I couldn't exactly peel my eyes away from it. The other picture I could see was one of those generic "live, love, laugh" quotes that was painted over what looked like a sunset. I take a glance at the all-white kitchen and its appliances. I sense some familiarity with it, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I notice a stack of mail at the island. I'm naturally nosey so I peeked at the top of the stack. I couldn't actually make the words out. It was like it got blurred out or something. It was weird because I could read what was on the painting, no problem.  I put that envelope to the side and looked at the next one. Same thing. After going through a few more, fear creeped in. I glanced around again, trying to figure out what the hell was happening. All I knew was, I wasn't at home, and I needed to be. After that, I was gonna head back out. I didn't care to be around whenever the person of the house, came to where I was. I mosey over to the door. I could see my car keys, sitting on top of another piece of mail. On the front of that envelope was another fucking fist. What does it mean? Why does it keep popping up? I pick up the keys, and take a step towards the door, but realized I could clearly see some letters on the envelope. I couldn't see the name of the recipient, but the address was clear as day. It said 519 Sommers Road. Just then I could hear a breathy voice in my ear, whispering it to me over and over again. It was broken up, but I could recognize that the address I saw, matched up with what I was hearing. After that, I could hear loud footsteps creeping up behind me. Before I knew it, Jane was running towards me. I snatched the keys and ran outside. I made it to the last step before I had been snatched by the back of my shirt. I shrieked at the top of my lungs, trying to do anything I could to get her to let go of me. I tried to literally throw my weight in the opposite direction, but it didn't work. "Let go!" I scream! Then, out of nowhere, I feel a rocking motion, which only made me scream louder. "Help me!!! Somebody please help me!!"

I finally open my eyes and look around. I was at Syd's house, on her couch. I guess I had fallen asleep. Syd looked at me with a look of concern on her face. "You must've been having a nightmare. You've been screaming for like two minutes."
"Never mind that, did you find Chez?"
"No, me and my Sister rode around for awhile, but there was no sign of her, anywhere." She seemed sad to have to tell me that. I didn't have time to sit around and be fucking sad.
"Listen to me. I think I had a dream of being back at the girl's house."
"Mick, whose house?"
"Jane! The one who sent all those letters. I saw these like, fists, everywhere. I kept seeing these fists and I don't know what for. Syd, I—" I trailed off when I got distracted by what was in Syd's ears. She had gold encrusted fists earrings on. She wore 'em all the time, but I never quite knew what it meant. "Hey, Syd, where did you get those earrings from?"
She furrows her eyebrows and touches them. "I got these when I crossed over, you know that. I got 'em in silver and black, too."
"Wait a minute." I say, making my way to the washing machine. Once I got there, I picked up the shirt I had worn when I got there and gasped. It was the same fist graphic I'd seen on Syd's earrings. I remembered checking myself out in the mirror before hopping in the shower and kind of glancing at the logo, trying to figure out why Syd was staring so hard at it. Now the fists in my dream were popping back up in my mind. I bring the still-wet shirt back to Syd, displaying the logo for her once again. She took a deep breath. "Why you ain't tell me Jane was your Sister, Sydney?" I asked her.
"I didn't know at first, but... when I saw the Onyx Fist, I knew she had to be one of us. I didn't say anything 'cause I wanted you to stay here and rest. So, we've narrowed our suspects down, Mick, but I can't really rule anyone out." she admits. Then she starts thinking out loud. "Eh, I guess the only one I could rule out was Temi, the Sister I had been with the whole time. Mick, there's 112 girls in the state's Chapter, and most live here. We've got to find another way to narrow this down so we can get to Chez, quicker." she suggests. "I told you, the girl lived on Beale or Bill Street, or something."
"Mick, we don't have a Beale or Bill Street."
I close my eyes for a second. "It starts with a B. I know you gotta know somebody that lives on a B Street."
Then, I think of the dream I had. "You remember when I said I called Chez and she, like, whispered to me? I think I saw an address of another house that kind of lined up with what she might've said, in my dream. I know it was different 'cause it didn't have the same name as the one I passed by, trying to get out. We don't dream of shit we ain't seen, so I must've glanced at it before leaving."
"You got all that from a dream?" she asks.
"It clicked as soon as I saw the envelope. I remember that the girl lived somewhere on a 'B' street, but in my dream I saw 519 Sommers Road. Its different from the road I turned off of, which is why I think we should go check it out. Syd, I think Chez knows where she is, she just can't get out on her own. I'm going to go get her, I'm not waiting another second." I declared. She sighed deeply, probably still worried about how must rest I actually got. "I'm coming with you, just in case the bitch tries to snatch you up again." she says. I nod as she goes to put on her shoes. Who's to say Jane hadn't untangled herself, yet?

We hopped in the car and look up the address on Google Maps. I furrowed my eyebrows as I see that Sommers Road is forty minutes away. "Nigga, that's in the Boonies. Hold on." she says, getting out of the car and opening the door to her own car. She grabs something and shuts and locks her car doors. When she gets back in the passenger seat, she shows me her black 9 millimeter pistol. I gasped. I'd never seen it before. "I'm only bringing it along just in case some shit goes down." After she puts it into my glove compartment, we roll out and go on the search for Duchesne.