A Drunk and a Hard Place

The next day, I had woken up and checked the camera footage. I had to see if anybody had been by last night. I was hoping I wouldn't be too afraid of what I saw on the camera. First off, I still lived by myself. Sometimes Chez or Sydney would stay the night but it was still mostly just me. What if it was some brolic ass nigga dropping this shit off at my house? What would be my course of action for whooping his ass? What if he was a henchman? After all, the letters are signed 'Jane'. But who says that name wasn't chosen just to throw me off? I mean, 'Jane' could literally be anybody. I still hadn't narrowed down my list of suspects, any. I sighed. I hoped this stuff would be over with, soon. As I watched the footage, I was glad to see that I was not the target of some creep. The coast had been clear all night. I sighed in relief. Now, it was time for me to get my day started. I walked back to my bathroom to brush my teeth and wipe my face. After I had brushed my teeth, I had wet a washrag with water and drenched it in my favorite face wash. I closed my eyes and  slapped it on my face. I started to think more about Chez and I. I wondered what our relationship would go through next. It hadn't been that long and we had already taken hella breaks, it felt like. Both times it was my fault. The first time it was 'cause the girl's mama tried me within an inch of my life, and the second time was because Tina had me back in my feelings. I chuckled wryly as I started to fold my washrag and scrub my face some more. I loved this kind, it was sudsy, and it felt like pop rocks on my face. It felt like it was actively stomping out all the germs. After I get enough suds on my face, I lower my face to the sink and baptize my face. It put me in the frame of mind of those dumb ass skincare commercials, where they show a slow motion scene of some random ass white lady splashing water on her face like a maniac. I used to pretend to do that and every time it ended up in a big ol' puddle in the middle of my bathroom floor. Then, I search for some regular ass clothes. I decided on this white button up shirt that I hadn't worn in ages. Then I put on some black slacks. It was pretty warm outside these days, so I briefly reconsidered wearing slacks.... never mind, I'ma wear 'em.

Just then, I heard my phone ringing. I didn't pay it too much mind right now, it was hella early. Syd usually doesn't call me in the morning, because most of the time we work the same days. If she had anything to say to me, she would just wait until we got to work. I couldn't imagine Chez calling me at this moment, either. Her kid is in school, so she's likely up, getting her ready. I had been checking my hair in the mirror. I had put my hair in a high bun, or at least I tried. God, I was appreciative of whatever length I had, but I couldn't wait until I got my hair to be another five inches. Then, my phone rings again. I roll my eyes and answer my phone. When I see the name, I roll my eyes. "What, Tina?" I answered, dryly.
"What happened to you? You used to love me." she says, slowly.
"Why are you calling me?" I asked her.
"Is it somebody else? Am I not... attractive to you anymore?" I furrowed my eyebrows. Why was she asking me this dumb shit? And why was she talking so slowly? She was talking nothing but nonsense. Then, she started to hiccup, and giggled loudly in my ear. "Micki, I love you. I need you." Oh my, God. She was slurring.
"Are you fucking drunk?" I asked, in horror. Tina giggles again. "No."
"Where are you right now?"
"Cooley's... I mean... home." she said, slurring. I sat and debated with myself to decide if it would be worth it to go and fucking save Tina from herself. I just remember what happened last time with Tina, and figured it would be best to just stay away from her. But I would never be able to fucking live with myself if anything happened to her. I knew I didn't want Tina back anymore but I still wasn't completely over her. I just wanted to get her out of my system, and I just hoped this one last thing I do for her doesn't disrupt anything.
"I'm coming to get you, you stay your ass there." I say. I hung up and texted Mr. Prynne to let him know I'm taking a personal day. Then, I got my stuff and  damn near ran to my car. I was so scared for Tina. There wasn't a doubt in my mind that someone would come along to take advantage of her drunk ass. I had to hurry up and get there.

I was speeding the whole way to the bar, and got pulled over by one of the state troopers. I was so pissed off. A little scared, too. I mean, there had been a rash of police related shootings going down. It didn't even matter that I knew probably most of the officers, I just needed to not be in front of any of them at any point for anything. The guy comes to my car and asks me if I knew was I speeding. I tried my hardest not to catch an attitude. I was honest and told him that I indeed did know that I was speeding. I also wanted to tell him he's wasting precious minutes of my damn time, but decided against it. Then he asked me for my car and registration and ID and shit. Then the man comes back with my shit, with a ticket. He gives it to me and I take it. I eye the ticket. Speeding in a school zone. Mick luh da kids, usually, but today I didn't care. I have to go and find Tina before trouble got to her first. I guess trouble visited me first, so I slowed its roll at least a little bit.

Anyway, I finally get to the bar. Immediately, I'm filled with worry and call her phone. As I wait for her to answer, I frantically look around for her. I couldn't see her. Then, I noticed something moving on the side of the bar. I get out of the car and head to where I saw the movement. There lay Tina with her drunk ass, giggling like this was just the funniest thing ever. She had been wearing this bodycon coral dress with these high heels on, her phone rested just above her head. Her makeup was smudged and her nails were chipped. I pulled her up and got her to stand on her own two feet. It wasn't easy but I did it. I was too short for this bullshit, but for whatever reason, I had the strength to do it. Luckily Tina has made it a point to grab her phone before getting up. Honestly, if she didn't pick it up she was just gonna have to take the L on that. We finally wobble our way to my car.
"Aw, I knew you loved me." she slurred.
"Tina, you gotta move your legs, girl." I reminded her, ignoring her comment. I rolled my eyes at my own self. It probably would have been smarter to tell Tina to take her shoes off. Now it looks like I'm ushering my grandma across the street at snail speed.

I finally get her in the car and put the seatbelt over her. "I love you, Mick." she said.
"You're drunk, Tina. C'mon, you know better than this!" I said. I clicked it in and shut the door. I walk around to my side, get in, and put my seatbelt on, too. Then, we start the drive to her house. "Tina, don't you have a roommate?" I ask. I was just confused as to why she was drunk outside of the bar at fucking eight in the morning. Hadn't anybody been looking for her? "Kassie." she says. I nodded my head.  I remembered Kassie from the last run-in at her apartment. "Where is she at?" I asked. "Home." she says, giggling. I didn't know if I could trust what she was saying. I knew I had to make sure she at least had somebody in the house with her. If she didn't, I was just gonna have to stay until she sobered up.

A few minutes later, we pulled up to her apartment. I had turned the car off and took my seatbelt off. I helped Tina take off her seatbelt. I also told her to take off her shoes so we wouldn't have a repeat of what happened earlier. I wasn't dealing with that shit again. I got out of my side and opened the passenger's side of the door. Then I tried to stand her up, making sure she was holding onto me. I had her phone, and she had her shoes. The whole time we had walked up the path to her house, she was pure jokes. I couldn't even make out half the shit she was saying, but I was cracking up. How did she go from being desperately in love with me to a comedian? It was just so funny to me. I safely got her up to her room, and let her roommates know she was back home. Luckily for us, we had arrived back before Kassie had gotten off the phone with the police, so there was no need to involve them.

Then, I walked down the path, finally noticing that this where I had gotten stopped earlier. It was an elementary school literally across the street from where we were. I had looked down for a second to look at my shoes. I had looked towards the kids playing on the playground, waiting to go inside, and smiled at them. Then I turned my head straight, just as I was about to approach the curb and noticed an '07 Nissan Altima on the other side of the street, with Duchesne standing in front of it, arms folded.