Slim Pickings

The next morning, I had been slowly sipping on my piping hot coffee. I sat my coffee down and booted up my computer. I sighed as the screen loads. I did not want to be here at all. I think I was finally burnt out. I didn't care about this job any more, and would probably wind up quitting soon. I figured now would be a good time to start a new chapter in my life. After all, I had taken a chance at love and got... something positive out of it. Maybe that could happen with a career change, too! I sign myself into the computer and take another sip of my coffee. The smell itself had put me in a calm mood. I was glad some
I went back to thinking of potential career changes. I remember discussing this with Duchesne, telling her that I wasn't as clear on where exactly I wanted to go. I mean, I could still use my counseling degree for something. It's just, dealing with other people's problems was exhausting. Honestly, though, I liked knowing people's business. Giving advice made me feel like I was saving the world. Maybe it was the relationship aspect that I was tired of. Maybe I felt like a fraud. I mean, how could I not have the tools to fix my own relationship when I'm supposed to be a damn expert? Now that I think about it, maybe I never was an expert at this. Barely anything happened here to really qualify me as such. I mean, there's not a lot of in-depth counseling that goes on. I look at personality traits and match them up with each other. Then I tell everyone some Dos and Don'ts so they don't fuck their first date up. That was it! I shook my head and continued to look up some alternative career choices on my phone and saw a variety of different paths. There were some counseling jobs with some tough topics like substance abuse and mental health. I wondered if there was a more lighthearted version of counseling. I wasn't all the way sure if I wanted to get into super heavy issues, but I wasn't all the way against it.

Just then, Syd taps on my office door. I wave her over and enjoy another sip of my coffee. She makes her way to the chair across from me. She wears a big grin, along with a pastel pink dress shirt and regular slacks. Her dreads sit atop her head in a pineapple bun. I wondered how the hell she could keep her head straight. "Nice to see you back, Waldo." she says, her legs crossed and arms folded. I rolled my eyes at her. "How you gon' call me Waldo when you knew where I was the whole time?"
She chuckled. "I might as well have not known. I ain't heard from you all weekend!" she pointed out. I sucked my teeth. "My bad, I was just exhausted. One second it was mentally, and the other it was physically." Syd cackled. "Oh, it was like that?" she asked. I didn't answer her, I just made a show of sipping my coffee, causing her to shake her head at me. "So, I take it y'all had a smooth time?"
I chortled. "I wouldn't call it smooth. We had a heated argument the first day, the next day we had a petty argument, and we argued yesterday. It's just what we do at this point. We're arguing one second, all up in each other's face in the next." She giggles. "She said the 'l word', Syd!" I said. Her eyes got wide and she gasped. "Oh my God! What'd you do?"
"I cried, Syd! I cried!" I said, cringing. I felt so vulnerable even sharing this with Syd, who knew every damn thing else about me. I just decided that I'd keep it real regarding Chez, from the moment she caught me having sex with her. "I couldn't believe it! Then she cried, and... it was a fucking mess." I said, giggling. She smiled with pride. I sigh deeply and look up at the ceiling. "I'm in love, and I've never felt so disgusted with myself." I admitted, shaking my head. I had never felt this way about anybody before, and I swore I'd been in love at least once before. Chez, though, took me to another level. It wasn't just sexually, she also affected me mentally. She changed my whole life, and no one could convince me otherwise. I knew it would be damn near impossible to leave her. Hell, this relationship was already bringing on unwanted problems, such as a crazy ass ex and a batshit crazymother. Not to mention, she has a child. I wouldn't call the child herself an unwanted problem; after all, I thought she was adorable and we clicked the last time I saw her. It was just the fact that I am now being met with the possibility of becoming a parent, too! It was just a lot at one time, and us making the actual commitment to each other made every thing become surreal, I guess. I sighed. "My nigga in love, love." Syd teases, clapping her hands. "Am I great or what?" she asks rhetorically. "You know I hate you, right?" I ask. She snickers. "Well look, I'm glad you and Chez worked that out 'cause y'all been on my damn nerves. Just make sure y'all invite a nigga to the wedding." she says, standing up. "Now, let me get back to my office and do my work before Mr. Prynne fire my ass." I cracked up. "Lunch on me." I declared. "Bet." she confirms, as she walks out of my office. I sat my mug down and stared at the monitor before me for a good twenty seconds before deciding I was in the space to actually do this job.