Chapter-41 : Red Tomato

Shayba's P.O.V.

I came out of the shower and found Annaba throwing a questioning glance at me, "Well what did he say? Your face says you met him today."

"Yeah, I did." I sighed.
"And?"
"He proposed."
"And?"
"He resigned." I facepalmed myself and sat down on the bed.
"What?!"
I went silent while Anu stared at me agape.
"Did you forgive him?"
This question left me baffled. I don't know. Did I? I am still very pissed offwith this guy for leaving me like that at the last moment without any excuse given, but can I move on? I cannot. Even the thought of marrying someone else who I don't know at all terrifies me.

Annaba understood my silence and walked away. "Let me tell this to mom, she is way too hyper and enraged."
"Sure."
I dried my hair, prayed Salah and taking all my drawing materials, headed off to my studioroom downstairs. Designing is the only thing that keeps me busy and sane.

I lost track of time while sketching a new picture and coloring it. My mom came once to call me for lunch, and I just nodded. When it was finished, I looked at the wall clock. It's 5 o' clock already?! I ran to pray my Asar's prayer and then came down again to have my lunch.

While eating, I heard the doorbell rang. As I didn't have my hijab on, I ran upstairs again and heard a female voice outside.

Is it what I'm thinking?!

Isn't that his mom?

"Shayba!" My mom called me, "Come here."
Annaba ran to the room, "Abir bhaiya has come with his mother. Mom is calling you. Don't worry, she is calm now, I've told her everything."
I felt perplexed. What now?!
"Just wrap yourself and come, okay?"
I nodded and accordingly stepped out.

He was sitting with his mom on one couch, and on the other couch, my parents were sitting. Both of my siblings were there too. As soon as I entered the room, Annaba got up and made a place for me to sit. I looked at Abir and he was already looking in my direction. None of us broke the cold eye contact. I sat down and glanced at my mom, I need to know what mood she is in. But it seemed as if she knew they were coming and she is prepared to talk now.

His mom started to speak now. In a very calm and gentle voice. Her tone seemed so soothing, I looked at her. She looked as if she had aged ten years. I felt pity for her. I can't imagine what she had to go through. But then again, probably she can't imagine either what I had to go through.

His mom spoke about the same incident. I have heard it and read the newspaper already almost twenty times. But all of us patiently listened to her again. She spoke about it so meticulously that there was no scope to have a doubt. I kept looking at my parents to see if they were convinced. My father was looking at the floor being extremely patient while my mother was staring at his mom with a raised eyebrow to find a chance to catch her fault. Obviously.

I glanced at Abir a few times, he was staring at his hands, tapping his fingers now and then. Once he caught me staring at him and all the incidents of today flashed back in my brain in an instant. I felt utterly embarrassed and moved my eyes to the vase on the table. Damn it!

After his mom was done speaking about their company, she moved to my topic.

"Now you tell me, Shayba," she said to me softly, "My son has acted upon his instinct. He did what he thought the most important to do at that time and he is very sorry for hurting you too. Are you still angry at him?"

I couldn't reply. I stared at my henna stained hands. The same henna I put on for my wedding. It has started to fade away now. I felt all the eyes on me waiting for an answer. I looked at Abir's pleading eyes, I looked at my mom and I realized she wasn't as angry as before. "We are leaving today. As you know he is leaving the job here and joining the business now. And I'm apologizing to you on my son's behalf."