Chapter-6 : Freshers'

Shayba's P.O.V.

It's been a month since I started living in this hostel. And I am proud to say that I am now used to it. I wash my dresses by myself. I make tea and sometimes snacks by myself. I learnt how to kill cockroaches with a sandal though I still am practicing how to deal with bloated lizards. I don't cry unreasonably for my family now. I don't act like a princess too. Rather I now act like a responsible young lady who spends each penny of her pocket money considerably. This form of mine is immensely different from that it was a month ago.

And finally it is time for the most beautiful thing happening to us. We are having a freshers party tonight. I am sooooooo very excited for this that no one can imagine! Not even Annaba.

I went home yesterday to fetch my dress. Turquoise being favourite, I brought one attire of this colour with a matching hijab that I custom made recently. After all I love designing my own dresses more than anything.

Everywhere in this campus, our seniors have agglutinated posters regarding this freshers that created an awesome festive mood. All those posters are drawn by them inviting us to join the epic occasion of this year.

I have heard rumours that 'Chirkut' is going to come over to sing and rock the party. If it comes true,then I will be completely overwhelmed because this is my most favourite Bangali Band. I have heard and almost conned all the songs of this band.

I brought my makeup bag too from home. Because this is one of my most important days, I can't go there looking blatant or clownish.

And most importantly I would never forget to bring my DSLR, will I? It's the love of my life after all. I had to keep it at home because it's safer there than here. But how can I leave that at home on this exceptionally special day?

Now tonight is the one that we were waiting for so eagerly since the very beginning to enter into this campus. Taking out my outfit and stilletos from the luggage I ask, "Hey Nadia! When are you getting ready?"

"Now now! Just let me finish this paper. You get ready quickly. We don't have much time for the makeup!"

"Yeah right. I'm going to the washroom then."

"Yeah ok. Better come out quickly."

"Sure." Then my eyes fell on Farhana's bed as I yell anxiously, "Farhaaana! How are you still sleeping so peacefully?!?! GET UP!!!! It's the FRESHERS NIGHT!!!"

She doesn't move a bit.

"You go to the washroom. I'll take care of her." Nadia suggests coming forward with a mug full of water in her hand. Ya Allah!

"You aren't going to spill water on her, are you?!?!"

"Yes I am. Now do as I say!"she scolds loud and I run into the washroom in an instant. We will be late!!!!

We three come down after an hour and a half after grooming ourselves quite nicely. "Hurry! It's already 8:30! We are late!!!!"

"I can't walk fast! I'm wearing high heels you know." Nadia almost cries.

And Farhana appears in her motherly attitude,"That's why I always say to wear sandals. Why? What was the need to wear this much high heels for which you can't even walk? Look at me! Am I facing any problems in walking? Good for you! At least you can learn something from me."

"Unbelievable!" I exclaim hearing her. "It's completely normal to wear high heels in parties Farhana! You are the one who should learn such things!"

"Guys wait!!! I'm lagging behind. Don't go without me pleeeeaseee!!!" Nadia hurriedly tries to keep her pace with us.

Complaining, arguing, advising and laughing, we at last reach our destination. Lights, loud music,smell of food, selfie capturing- everywhere it was grand exultation.