Chapter-40 : Persistence

Zawad's P.O.V.

I knocked on the door being prepared for all kinds of humiliation from Shayba's mom when she opens the door, sees me and then slams the door on me. I deserve this. I made the situation turn this way. I should have explained to her and then leave the venue probably? But that would mean wasting more time and missing the plane. If I missed the plane, Mahmud Bhai would have already been flying to the US right now. He had everything planned. I had no choice!

The door opened. Her father was standing in front of me. With wonder in his eyes. He is probably not angry right now. Or is he? He always looks so calm and robotic and well, he doesn't have a readable face. I gave salam, "Can I come in uncle, please?" He stared for a while and then seeing me pleading, he nodded and let me in, oh Alhumdulillah.

He stared at me. But didn't say anything. Probably he knew I was going to come. Probably he still didn't lose his faith in me. He locked the door and went inside keeping me stand beside the front door.

Shayba's mom came after a second and screamed, "What the hell are you doing in our home?! Get out! I said get out!"
"Aunty, please listen to me first. I need to explain myself."
"Where is Sabbir?" she frantically looked to her right and left, "Sabbir? Get this boy out right now! Oh my God, my pressure is getting high." she started sweating due to extreme anger and sat down on a dining chair, still screaming, breathing hard. Oh dear God, she is going to choke out of breath.
Hearing her, Annaba and everyone else except Shayba came out and seeing me standing with so much guilt and shame in eyes they were stunned. Annaba ran back to her room, maybe to inform her sister.

"Why are you here?" her brother asked in a blatant cold voice.
"I need to explain myself. Please! Just listen to me. I need to tell her why I did what I did."I almost begged.
He stared at me with doubt, "Why?"
I took a deep breath. "Can I have a seat?"
He eyed my expression and maybe realized I was being honest."Come to my room."
"What are you doing Sabbir? Get him out of my house right now!"
I followed him to his own room on the second floor while Shayba's mother hysterically shouted at her son. I don't care. I just need to tell my part of the story.

"Sit." Sabbir bhai said pointing at his bed. He took a chair and folded his hands. "Spit it."
I sighed, thinking about from where I should start. He needs to know the history too. "It's a long story."

"Yeah, start."

"Do you read newspapers?" I asked.
"Not so often."
"If you did, you would have known what our company H2O is going through for the last couple of months?"
"Not really, I don't know. I usually avoid the economy page."
"Here," I gave him the newspaper. That's the only thing I can convince him with now, he isn't going to believe my words.
He stared at the news, probably battling with his own mind if he should trust me or not.

I started explaining how our business was having a very hard time, why we had to fire so many employees because we couldn't provide enough salary. I honestly blurted out every mistake and every gap we had within. I told him about Mahmud bhai, how important a role he played for us. I said everything, maybe as an owner, I shouldn't have let the secrets out, but this is a do or die thing. I need everyone in her family to be convinced of the truth. I didn't stop, I didn't hesitate. He eyed me with doubt and questioned me here and there, and I instantly replied. I have all of his answers. I'm not a liar!

Her brother seemed a bit annoyed when I started speaking only about my business that had nothing to do with her sister, so gauging his mood, I quickly shifted to the story of the last few days.

He shut his eyes off and listened. Thank God he is being so patient with me unlike his mom!

"It still doesn't say enough."
"Huh?"I replied anxiously.
"It still doesn't give you the right to leave my sister just like that without any clarification given. Have you any idea what she has gone through?" he looked at me with despise.
I bowed my head down in shame. "I really am sorry about this. I had no option but to catch the plane at that very moment. You have no idea how terrible I felt leaving her on the stage just like that."