Chapter-16 : Gate Unlocked

Shayba's P.O.V.

The team was made in less than an hour and got registered in less than two. Our team was named "Archidroits" after a voting session which I can't even pronounce properly. It is a combination of two words- Architecture and Adroits. This name was given by Rafsan bhai who screamed like insane that he won't go with us if we don't select this. Anyways, the leadership was obviously given to Zawad bhai because each one of us voted for him undoubtedly with our eyes closed. He is the most senior and the bestest student of his class. Who could be the better choice?

Our team consists of four members. First one Zawad bhai from fifth year, the most popular face of this campus. Secondly Medha apu from fourth year, a bit obese, curly haired girl with big nerdy glasses on the nose whom I met only twice. Thirdly Rafsan bhai from third year, a thin but tall like a bamboo guy with glasses who is continuously bouncing around the room talking gibberish all the time. And the last one- me, Shayba Ahmed from first year, the most introvert one in this team who rarely talks.

Not to mention, these people are the best students of their respective batches. They came in Zawad bhai's one single call when he asked them to join in our team. I am the only one who, being only a first year student, is completely unaware and illiterate of everything. Man! How come my idea got selected? I don't know anything about architecture!

However, now we have been a team and we promise we will try our best to win over the globe in order to save the face of our university.

The selection test was in just a week. Students from various varsities came to Dhaka to attend. This many people are participating??! My eyeballs took a whirl to see them. Oh Allah! I thought I was the only one who considered about this contest. I helplessly look at Zawad bhai in fear and he replies with a reassuring smile and nods. Yes! We can do this!

We were asked to draw some horrible designs regarding the risks of earthquake, flood and natural calamities at first and later some horrible quizzes which Zawad bhai and Medha apu successfully accomplished. And then it was the rapid fire round where who can answer correctly the fastest, wins. I was so nervous at first because I thought only the fifth year students would be able to solve this and I got no chance there. But I got extremely surprised when they were asking extremely basic questions from my syllabus so that everyone can attend though some of them were of higher level. I answered several questions correctly before anyone else which the seniors have forgotten already after getting promoted to the fourth or fifth year. After all who cares to remember what he read in the first year?

When all the tests were completed, we sat in our lunch. Medha apu tapped my shoulder tight and shook me hard,"Great job Shayba! You saved our face!" Rafsan bhai twitted, "Exactly! How funny it would look if the U.o.E team went back losing in the first round? Three cheers for Shaybaaaaa!!!"

I grinned being overwhelmed. Looks like I am not quite useless after all!

The result was to be published after lunch. My heart suddenly forgets how to beat and my lungs to breathe. Wh....what if we get selected? Would we be really going to France? To compete with the terribly brilliant students from other countries? Can we win the championship? Oh gosh! And what if we don't get to? Oh Allah that would be so very embarrassing!! The U.o.E. team losing to other varsities' students? No way!!!! I won't be able to show my face in front of my family and friends anymore.

When in the afternoon, the announcer declared that the first one getting selected to the competition was Archidroits, I couldn't believe my ears for what I just heard!! We are going to France?!?!? Representing Bangladesh??? Seriously??? Oh Allah thank you so much!!! Alhumdulillah!! My thoughts broke when Medha apu hugged me tightly and started jumping in excitement. I heard Rafsan bhai screaming like crazy, "WOAHHHH!!!! WOAHHH!!!! We won!!!!" and Zawad bhai shouting as loud as possible,"WE ARE COMING FRAAAANCE!!!!!" as if we just got the champion's trophy.
"Wooohoooo!!!"