Chapter-36 : Pandemonium

Shayba's P.O.V.

I woke up in my hostel room with an awfully calm mood. Previous week has been extremely busy for studies and today our exam starts. Praying Fazar, I went to the balcony and heard the birds' chirping. The weather is perfectly fine today and the breeze is soothing SubhanAllah. I recited the last part of Surah Baqarah and took deep breaths.

Having some time alone for myself, I came to the room and combing my hair, tied it into a bun. I looked at my figure in the mirror and sighed. All these hijabs, all this covering, all my attempts to keep my chastity and all my lowering gazes are coming to an end soon for that one single person. It's not like I didn't dream of a life with my future husband before, but now that my fantasy has a face and name to it, and I have a ring in my finger that continuously screams as the proof of our engagement, it has suddenly become scary. Now that I know the person, it scares me how different reality is going to be from my teenage fantasy, I'm afraid to be disappointed in him.

I got refreshed and woke Nadia and Farhana up for the breakfast. One of our maids in the hall brought us the food as discussed to our room because we don't have much time to get ready and head downstairs just for breakfast. Our exam is at 10 a.m., so we have still a few last hours for preparation. Allah knows how I'm going to score this time as my mind is constantly preoccupied with Abir. No, not in a romantic sense, but rather in a terrified bridal mood for which I can't even lie in peace until the marriage is completely done but then won't be able to rest either because there are still so many things to cope with after marriage! Oh God!

Trying to clear things from my mind, I opened my lecture sheets and concentrated on maths instead.

But later, the three hours of exam passed in just a blink. When I returned to my room, I saw a couple of missed calls from my mom and sister. So I called back, "Assalamu Alaikum. Mom, you called?"

"Yes! Where were you all this time!? I've been calling you since morning for the wedding shopping!"

My mouth hung open as I replied, "Mom, today was my first exam! You should have known that! How can you forget?!"

"Huh? Oh boy, I actually forgot. How was your exam?"

"Fine, Alhumdulillah."

"Anyway,"she quickly drifted to the topic she wanted, "So come home now. We have to go shopping."

I literally face palmed myself at the irony. "Mom, my next exam is just on the day after tomorrow! You know I have to study now! How can you ask me to join shopping for my wedding? Is my exam of no importance to you? Is my wedding the only thing that matters?"

"Now, don't give me those dialogues. You will get plenty of exams in life but wedding happens only once in a lifetime."

I gasped hearing her as my lips couldn't articulate any answer to her logic. Wow!

"I'm hanging up mom. Please go with Annaba and complete your part of shopping. I will come over when I get some time Ing Sha Allah."

"What?! At least tell me your preferences! Abir's mom wants to buy your dress with you. At the same time, I will take Abir for his Sherwani."

"Do whatever you like. Allah Hafiz."I hung up before she could complain anymore. Oh Allah, give me patience!

The weekend approached quite quickly when I got a one week break and therefore returned home. These days I have tried my best to ignore him and he has tried too not to talk to me in front of people. But now I can't hide anymore. I have to go shopping with him.

Reaching home, mom screamed at me to get ready because Abir's mother is coming in a few minutes with some wedding card samples to choose from. I quickly got refreshed and changed into my blue kameez when the bell rang. Applying a little bit moisturizer and light pink lipbalm, I lightly wrapped my scarf around my head and descended downstairs, not having the slightest thought that the guy in question was also going to be present in the living room.