Chapter-13 : A Suitor?

Zawad's P.O.V.

Her every word pierced my heart like thorns. I'm the reason for her problems? And if I am, why can't I help her when she needs? Why the heck do I have to fear about what people say? I'm already the leading character of the rumors anyway.

The fact that I can't help and defend her made me terribly crazy. I don't want this girl to suffer because of me. And for that I have to keep quiet so that rumors don't spread about the two of us. I wouldn't mind at all if people thought us a couple, but I have to tolerate this for her dignity. She has always been the perfect girl whom the society admires, who am I to ruin that precious status?

The next day I started for my home after my class. My mind was completely distraught for a certain girl. I didn't even pray today's Fazar and Zuhr's prayer because I was upset and quite depressed over the fact that she didn't call me.

But when I thought over all the things she said to me, I realized that maybe I'm not doing the right thing. I shouldn't skip my prayers and make Allah displeased with me. I planned on giving it a try, attempting to be a better Muslim. I should pray to Allah to adjust everything. Moreover Shayba will be upset too if she heard this.

When the train stopped at a station in its half way, I got down from it and perpetrated ablution. Then I came back to the train and completed the prayer of Isha. It really feels good man!

When I was too bored of sitting alone, I called Shayba for no reason as I was barely able to refrain myself from keeping contact with her. Gosh! What has the girl done to me?

"Assalamu Alaikum?"she said in a surprised tone.

I checked the time. It was 12:45 a.m. Geez! It's too late to call a girl like her.
"Walaikum Salam. How you doing?"

"Zawad bhai,have you any idea what time it is?"she asked quietly but with clear irritation,maybe she doesn't want her roommates to know who she is talking to.

"Oh oh I'm sorry. I really didn't check the time."

"Why have you called?"

"Just like that. I am alone and bored in the train,so I just thought I'd tell you that I prayed Isha's prayer."

She left out a long sigh. Is she somewhat frustrated with me?

"Is praying a thing to broadcast? I told you not to call me,didn't I? Why do you call me for no reason then? If you are bored, then call your friends or your girlfriend! Why me? People will get the wrong idea! Don't you understand that?"

I don't know why but my heart sank hearing her. Her words hurt me. Doesn't she know that I don't have any girlfriend? If I had one, why would I call her at midnight? Does she think I am a playboy or something who roams around with five or six girls? Oh come on! Girls do want to surround me and get my attention, that doesn't mean I like them! Well I mean..Yeah.. I used to like their company once but not now! This me is totally different than it was a year ago.

I replied in a perished tone, "Hey, what do you think of me seriously, huh? I don't have any girlfriend and I am To...tally not feeling like talking rubbish about hot girls with my friends. I just wanted to inform you that I didn't leave praying even if you are not calling me."

She said nothing.

"You know what???"I said again,"I've been really changed since dad's death. I just....you know... lost my interest in useless crushes and... relationships... I just....Ahhhh nothing.. Why am I even telling this to you???"I stopped.

"I'm hanging up Zawad bhai. Allah Hafez. Take care."she cut the call as soon as she finished her sentence.

My heart whirled when she advised to take care but why did she hang up? I wasn't even finished...!

She must think of me to be a pervert or something like that,doesn't she? Well isn't that obvious? What else is even there to think of? I am the one who calls a beautiful decent girl in the deep dark night without any reason.

Looking through the window,I gazed at the darkness and harken at the chuff of the train. My mind was at unrest because of one certain girl. The more she tries to get far from me, the more I get attracted to her. Why????

This girl...has been like a drug to my wounded heart...

Shayba's P.O.V.

Oh Allah please save me! Why does this guy call me at midnight? I just helped him to behold the beauty of Islam and nothing else! Then why? Why does he do things which he should not do to a non mahram girl?

I was scared if Nadia or Farhana heard me or not. If they know who I was talking to in this hour of night, it will be a huge chaos.

I tried to stop thinking about him and went to sleep. I have lots more important things to do before I go home tomorrow Ing Sha Allah. Mom asked me to come over as she is missing me way too much.

I received a call from our driver in the afternoon stating that he was here to take me. I got on it as soon as I had finished my work. The whole day was so busy that it has been easier for me not to ponder over one weird guy.

When I reached home in the evening, mom took me into her embrace as usual. To my surprise, I found dad sitting in the living room so early. Bhaiya wasn't at home as he has gone to a business trip to China.

"Shayba! Get refreshed quickly. You remember my friend,Sadia? She is coming on my invitation. So help yourself getting ready for that,ok?" mom told.

"Noooo mom! I'm so tired! Why do you have to show your offsprings off everytime? You know I don't like to sit with unknown people and serving them with my precious time!"I revolted,"Argh!!! This time it's Annaba's job to entertain them."

"Don't be stupid. Each one of you are coming downstairs to make them feel at home."she ordered solemnly.

I take a shower and dried my hair with the blower. I'm feeling totally famished as I haven't eaten anything since noon. As soon as I finish the food on my palate, the doorbell rings. Instead of opening the door,I almost fly to my room to grab my hijab.

I hear people greeting and talking to each other downstairs. Mom evokes us loudly in an exhilarating tone, "Shayba! Annaba! Come quick! See who are here!"

Being damn exhausted,I order Annaba to go first. "Why would I go???? You are the senior one, you have to go first!!"she protests.

"Alright alright,I'm going. But you better come behind me."

"Hehe,ok!"she chuckles.

I fix my hijab in front of the mirror again and head to downstairs.

As soon as I step in the living room,I see through the corner of my eyes a middle aged woman who is probably Sadia aunty with a young guy and a girl much younger than him who must be her offsprings.

I glanced at the woman and say with a robotic smile, "Assalamu Alaikum aunty! I'm Shayba." As soon as I finish my sentence, I could feel it that that betrayer Annaba hasn't followed me to this room. How dare she leaves me like that??? I promise I'm going to kick off this girl tonight!

A female voice breaks my thoughts, "Walaikum Salam dear. So you are Shayba! I'm so glad to meet you! Your mom always keeps talking about you all."

As I had no idea what else to do,I just smile at her and nod my head.
"Meet my children. This is my son Rahat and my daughter Raidah."
I slyly avoid the son's eyes and wish them salam too with a constant smile on my face.

"Why don't you two have a discourse with each other while I spend my time with my old friend?"Sadia aunty asks smilingly indicating me and her son as her daughter is only in her 5th or 6th grade who is quite little to accompany me.

I awkwardly look at aunty and suddenly everything becomes crystal clear to me, why dad is home at this hour and why Annaba left me just like that, hence my heart forgets to beat. "Oh dear! I know exactly where this is going......"