Chapter 97: The moon is our witness

Akako's POV

I slowly separate from Natsume, feeling hot tears roll down my cheeks. I take his face into my hands and all I can think about is how dearly I've yearned to study his beautiful ruby eyes this close again...

'Natsume... I love you..' I place my forehead against his, 'I always have... and I always will.'

"Smile, idiot." I laugh at Natsume's choice of words. To anyone else, those words would seem rude but to me.... they meant the world.

'I never want to be apart from Natsume.'

"I will definitely take you from this place. Whatever happens, I will..." I feel Natsume lean away, placing his warm hands on my cheeks. "Can you wait for me, butterfly?"

I reach up and cover his hands with my own, "I always will, Natsume! No matter what happens, even if it takes you eternity...! Just...." I pause. His red eyes penetrate me as he awaits my words. I look away, scared at the mere thought of what I'm going to say. "Natsume... don't- don't leave me. Okay? Don't push yourself."

My life without Natsume...... it almost seems unimaginable.

I wrap my arms around Natsume's neck, finding comfort in his arms. I always do. Natsume... he's like my second home.

We hold each other as best we can in this small space but it's more than enough for me. The familiar scent of his shampoo invaded my nose, jogging countless memories with him. I raise my hands to wipe my tears away, I must look like a complete mess to him. Though, I guess it doesn't matter. Natsume has seen me at my worst.

"Hey."

"Hmm?" I stop rubbing my eyes and look up to see Natsume pointing at my chest, "It's flickering."

"Ah!" I quickly reach into my shirt, revealing my Alice stone that I was also keeping on my necklace alongside that of Natsume. "That's right, Mikan-nee and I made our stones a few days ago. See how big I was able to make it?!" I grin, holding the stone up for Natsume to see.

"I thought you could only make a pea sized stone." He makes his annoying deadpan face.

"Well I've been practicing!" I glare, "You're supposed to say something like 'That's amazing, Aka-chan! Good good job!'..." I huff.

He doesn't answer, infuriating me. "You big jerk!"

Undoing the rock from the necklace, I glance down at my yellow stone and smile. "I made this a few days ago. I thought of Mommy and Poppa... but especially of Nee-chan. She's one of the most important people to me. I always want to do my very best to protect her and everyone else." I think of all the smiling faces of my friends, four in particular clearly implanted in my mind.

I forever want those four to smile.

"I've poured my whole heart and soul into this stone." I whisper, glancing up at Natsume. I hesitate for a moment before grabbing his wrist and turning his hand palm up. I place the yellow rock in his hand and close his hand into a fist so that it's secure.

"Natsu, I want you to hold on to my heart. This stone is way better than the tiny pea stone that I gave you during the game." Now that I think about it, at that time I was so freaked out at the thought. But now... "So with this stone, my heart, that I'm giving you, we'll surely be happy together! Forever."

That time when I was told of what the Alice exchange meant, I was freaking out because I had unknowingly promised my heart and future to Natsume. That time by the lake when we were trying to gather the medicine for Hotaru... I had basically promised myself to Natsume.

And I don't think I regret it.

I stare into his comforting eyes, smiling at him. "You just proposed." My heart skips at his words.

"Ahahaha..." my face heats up, my hand automatically reaching up to scratch my neck out of reflex. "I-I mean.. I guess- sort of." I know that's what I did but it's so embarrassing to say out loud!

"Stu-pid." I instantly frown when he says that but my annoyance is short lived as Natsu takes hold of my necklace with his finger. "I'm the one who already did that when I gave you my Alice stone." He slightly pulls me closer to him, "With this, for eternity, you are mine."

As those words escape Natsume's mouth, all I can do is stare at him. Being with Natsume for forever.... I know that's what's meant to be. Ever since I first met him... even before we met, Natsume and I were always meant to be.

He raises my stone to his mouth, holding it as though it were the most precious thing he'd ever held. "Even if you come to hate me, I will never give this stone back. Remember that."

My hands reach up, taking hold of Natsume's arms. "Even if I tried, I would never be able to hate you. Even when Natsume had to act cold towards me at that time, I could never find it in my heart to hate Natsume." I watch Natsume's eyes widen at my words.

You would think after how rudely he appears to treat me and how distant he was at that time because of Koizumi-San... Natsume has always held my heart.

A smile takes my face, "So this means that Natsume will never leave me! This proposal-..." I cut myself short. I must sound so stupid for being so happy but I can't help it. One of my only wishes is to be with the love of my life forever.

"If you know now, close your eyes and swear." I follow Natsume's directions allowing my eyes to flutter shut. "The moon is our witness."

Natsume kisses me once more. And I'm not embarrassed. Instead, I allow myself to be happy because I was able to have this moment with Natsume. This moment to promise ourselves to one another.

Before I can comprehend what's happening, Natsume's lips are off of mine. I open my eyes and see him falling backwards, "Natsume!" I shout and try to reach out and help him but my hand is blocked by an invisible wall.

The barrier was back.

I feel my heart race as Natsume falls backwards though everything seems to appear in slow motion. I watch Natsume's body slowly disappear, the barrier slowly hiding him from view. The last I see of him are his ruby red eyes staring at me.

"Akako!"

I can no longer see Natsume anymore. With the barrier, it seems to hide us from others.

'Is Natsume okay..?'

I look up at the sky as snowflakes begin to fall again, the stars and moon shining brighter than ever.

Under the light of the moon, the stars danced around as Natsume and I set our future in stone.

With the moon as our witness.

I'm a sorry that this is a shorter chapter but I wanted this chapter just for Natsume and Akako. Also I've been very busy and a lot of changes are happening in my life. Recently I've been reading a lot but not so much writing and I truly apologize for that!

I hope you all enjoyed, though I don't know when the next chapter will release.

Please vote and comment even though I kept you waiting so long! Sorry!!

Ps. Should I just add this to the last chapter?