Chapter 42: The basement

3rd persons POV

"What would be in the middle school section that would interest Natsume so much?" I frown as Mikan asks.

Why is he so interested here? Is there something that I missed? Natsume.. what's going on? Please tell me, I want to help. I will help you, but you never communicate with me! Stop protecting me, I want to share your burden so that you don't have to suffer alone. The only thing you would ever let me or Aoi do for you was smile; that is until we got here. It's only then that I was able to help you and was able to share your burden.

"He may have gone into the prohibited area!!" Some of the hanahime shout in fear before turning to us and glaring at us with a scary face like Sumire does. "There's no possible way that you could go after him if he went there!"

Their faces make me flinch from the harshness, I begin to tear up from their scary faces and go to hide behind Hotaru while Mikan and Ruka also look at them in fear, "Even if you use your scary ugly face, I'm not frightened." Hotaru shrugs.

"We don't care if it's a prohibited place, we're going after Natsume." Ruka says, his eyes showing his determination. I stare at him with pride before bringing my fist up to my chest, hoping that the Hanahime would see our concern for our friend. "Natsume is one of my bestest friends, there's no way that I would abandon him here when I could be looking for him or helping him." I use my hand and motion to my friends who are all looking at the Hanahimes with faces masked with determination, "We're all friends of his and won't leave this place without him. If you try to make us leave without Natsume at our sides then we will fight you until we crumple to the ground in defeat. I will not leave Natsume!"

3rd persons POV

The small girls' words reached the hearts of all her friends, fueling their courage and their faith in themselves.

Ruka stares at Akako in amazement, How does she not see how deeply she cares for Natsume? Not only as a friend, but as more and that Natsume has felt that way about her for a long time. But as his fire alice friend had put it, she wouldn't know that the world was ending until she was already dead. She is one of the most oblivious and observant people that Ruka had ever met. Natsume had once told Ruka that Akako was one of the stupidest smart people he had every met.

Out of nowhere Yōichi grabs Mikan and places her on his shoulder before beginning to run, the other three following in suit. "M-mate!" Akako shouts, as they keep up with Yōichi.

"Yō-chan says 'We better hurry, Natsume's in danger. I've been sensing someone's unusually strong negative presence from the basement for a while now.'" Hotaru interprets, thanks to a Yōichi having a sixth sense antenna.

They keep running, Mikan looking down worriedly at Yōichi, "Yō-chan.. you're trembling...."

Akako, feeling her heart pump harder at the mere thought of Natsume being in danger, looks at Yōichi as well. Her hands are shaking as well but from her years of experience, Akako has learned to ignore her fear and push through.

Yōichi comes to a sudden halt in front of an odd looking door, "Here!" He says.

"This is the entrance to the basement?" Ruka stares at it in shock.

They open the door, revealing many stair leading down to the basement, the passageway almost completely pitch black.

A cold gust of wind blows up from the freezing underground tunnel, making everyone in the doorway shiver.