Chapter 130: Unknown Memories

"Mi~kan~Neeeeeee~!"

I shout from the front door, finishing up my braid over my shoulder. I needed something quick and easy since I accidentally fell asleep last night while my hair was wet. I finish it off and rush for my shoes as my bag starts slipping off of my shoulder. "You need to hurry!" I yell once more, "Shi-Chan and Sa-Chan are here!"

Mikan's faint voice rings through the house in response, while I run to the table and grab something small for both of us to eat on our way to school. I put one slice of Ogura Toast in my mouth and rush to the front for where our friends have now entered with their greetings.

"Hah-yy!" I muffle out an apology through my food, handing Mikan's slice to Sa-Chan while I slip on my shoes. Jii-Chan's shout resounds through the house, his strong voice greatly contrasting his weakening figure. "Mikan! You're going to be late, can't you hurry up?!"

That's when Mikan stumbles down our stairs, frightened by our grandfathers shout. While he was a small old man, he still had the voice to get both of us straightened out. I even felt a small shiver run up my spine when he called a moment ago.

"We're going now, Jii-Chan!" Mikan-Nee turns towards Jii-Chan who stands in the other room, holding on to the stuffed bear. With a nod, Mikan rushes out of the front door with Shi-Chan and Sa-Chan, holding tightly to my hand as we left our home. The four of us run down the sidewalk in hopes of making it to class in time. Honestly, I'm really hoping that we do make it because I don't want to hear Sensei shouting at us. I look at the sea as we keep running, Mikan never letting go of me.

That was definitely something that had changed after years of going to my private school. My memories from that time are a little hazy- foggy- if you would say. I remember making many friends but it seems like such a breeze, the years that I was there. Jii-Chan wanted me to return home and attend school with Mikan-Nee which was something that I would never refuse.

Sometimes I wonder why I even left to go to a different school. I know Jii-Chan says it was because I was very smart but I wouldn't just leave Mikan-Nee like that! I was young so I probably didn't have much of a choice, now that I think about it. I'm just glad that I'm back with Mikan-Nee. I can still remember the day I finally came back. I had fallen asleep on my journey home but when I woke up, I was in front of my childhood home which I hadn't gotten to see in years!

•••

I open the car door, stepping out and going to the trunk where I have two large suitcases. The driver helps me get them out and both of us make our way towards the front door.

I don't know why but my palms are so sweaty and my hands tremble as I knock on the door. While I wait, I glance up at the man who has simply turned around to walk back to the vehicle.

'Not even a goodbye or anything?! Well... I guess I did rudely fall asleep in the car... not like we're best of buds.'

The door opens from behind me and I spin around to find Jii-Chan standing there with a cane to support his fragile frame. A robe is draped over his body, one thing that I distinctively remember.

"Jii-Chan!" I grin, my heart soaring at the sight of him. 'I honestly can't remember the last time I saw him! Did he ever come to visit me at the school? Did I come to vis-?'

I gasp when Jii-Chan's cane drops to the ground with Jii-Chan following after it. He falls to his knees, reaching out to pull me towards his body. "J-Jii-Chan?!" I wave my hands around, freaking out. 'Did he just collapse? Should I call for that guy? DO I CALL FOR THAT SPY LOOKING GUY?!'

Jii-Chan wraps his arms around me, the bony hands trembling against me as he tightens his grip. "Akako.." Jii-Chan mutters as tears fall from his face, "My little Akako has returned to me!" His brittle voice wavers. "My dear granddaughter." One of his hands caresses the back of my head.