Chapter 127: Waiting Game

Two and a half  months have passed. Everyday was just about the same for many people. For Subaru and Tono, they would wake up and go to a few classes before going to the hospital and taking boosters that Hotaru had prepared for them as they began healing Akako. After working for a few hours, or even as much as they could, the two boys would take off and do any school work before heading off to bed once again.

For those in Class B, their routine was quite similar.  Kids would go about their day, doing their best to keep smiles on their faces for their own sanity. Many would go and visit Akako at different times of the day, either right after class or near the evening when they had completed their school work. Then, there was Hotaru, Ruka, and Natsume. Those three only went to class before spending most of their time in Akako's room. Some nights, they were even allowed to stay the night in there, being prepared other hospital beds or sofas with blankets and pillows. Every now and then, some kids got to spend alone time with the girl and usually spoke to her about what they had learned for the day or what was going on in the school. Perhaps if they continued to speak to her, they could lead Akako back to them. That was what they firmly believed in their hearts.

Tonight, Ruka and Natsume were in Akako's room alone with the girl. Tono and Subaru had just finished their healing for the day and headed off to their dorms. Hotaru was in her lab this chilly night, creating a few more boosters and serums for the next half of the month which left the two boys for the night. Natsume sits on his chair with a folder in his lap as he does a bit of work while Ruka sits by his side. Natsume's spot was always closest to Akako unless he wasn't there, then the chair was up for grabs. Ruka had already finished his school work since he actually went to class while Natsume skipped to spend time with Akako, so the blond was speaking to his unconscious best friend.

"Kokoroyomi-Kun said that you were having an interesting dream today." Ruka laughs as he remembers what the mind reader had told him when everyone was there earlier, "Why are you dreaming about your grandfather and Bear fist fighting?" Ruka laughs, trying to imagine the dream but it was too ridiculous for him to take seriously. Hearing it even made a smile come to Natsume's face.

Ruka continues, "You should also see what everyone in class is doing for you! It's a surprise for when you wake up. I want to tell you but that would ruin it, no matter how much you would beg me if you were awake..." he suddenly trails off. "You know... you should wake up. Everyone's waiting to see you again. And I'm sure your Jii-chan is also very worried about Akako-chan."

When Mikan had returned home, the school informed her grandfather of Akako's situation. At the time, since Hotaru was in the midst of trying to save her, they had told him that they weren't completely sure of her condition and would keep the older man informed. He asked every morning and night following the week of Mikan's return but always received the same answer. As soon as Akako had returned and regained her pulse, the old man was told. After all, he was her legal guardian. It was a difficult thing for the grandfather to try and come up with an excuse if he had to break the news to his other granddaughter if her sister were to not make it. But as soon as he was told, he burst into tears and was given regular updates about the blonde girl as everyone kept up the same story of her going to a boarding school on a scholarship.

"If I know Mikan, she's definitely waiting for a letter from Akako." Ruka lays his head down on the bed by Akako's legs as his eyes stare up at Akako as well as Natsume.  "We also can't wait for Akako to wake up. We want you to smile at everyone again and laugh with us but we'll wait. We'll wait until you're all healed, just don't take too long... okay?"

Natsume's pencil stops moving when Ruka says that. Everyone has been telling Akako those words, all of them wanting her to hurry up and join them once more. No matter how much they wished for it, it had only been two and a half months but it was progress. Akako was already in a much better state than before but she still had many internal deteriorations and some bruising still remained on her skin around the area of her heart.