128: Stuck

Nobody was allowed in Akako's room that night. All of the children questioned as to why that was but all got the same response: Imai and Tono were working overtime.

Now this wasn't out of the normal but there were times when the children were allowed in when they were busy healing Akako. And it was even more odd for the two to be working for over 24 hours, which is what has happened.

"Ne, do you think that perhaps... Akako's condition had changed?" Anna questions, interrupting the chatter that went around the table. At the moment, all of Class B was in their classroom, many sitting at desks as they all continued their task at hand. The light-hearted talking trails off for a moment as everyone thinks about what the pink haired girl said.

"...I guess that would make sense..." Iinchō agrees, looking down at his hands that held Akako's surprise that everyone was making for her. "But why wouldn't they want to tell everyone?"

"They're definitely being top secret about it." Hotaru chimes in from her spot next to the class president, "They've even gone as far as setting up a barrier for Alices like Kokoroyomi-kun to prevent us from sneaking information." Hotaru folds a piece of paper as she analyzed the situation.

"Un! We haven't even seen Narumi-Sensei since yesterday!" Anna nods her head. Yuu looks to the ceiling as he tries to think of what could be happening. "Well, maybe Akako-Chan's improving more!" He raises a finger in the air with a hopeful smile stretched across his face.

From further down the other table, Benjiro looks up as he ponders the possibility as well. Sure, they've had scares where Akako's health deteriorated when she missed a dose or a few healing sessions, but if that happened, they would only be kept away from her. There's no way that the school would put up a barrier when they could explain the situation.

He and a few others knew one thing was for sure. Something was different. Something was amiss that they weren't allowed to know about.

Outside of the classroom stood Natsume. He had been very curious and frustrated, because of the secrecy and the fact that he hasn't seen Ruka at all. Natsume had his hand on the knob, not turning the handle as he listened to his classmates speak. He hadn't heard of anything happening and annoyance tingled over his skin as he listened through the wooden door. Without another word, the boy turns around and walks away down the hallway, looking towards the ground as he tries to think of a way to get past the barrier of the hospital.

"Natsume..!" A voice  whispers from a branched out hallway. The voice surprised Natsume, his ruby eyes turning and widening at the sight of a slightly hidden Ruka. Without any hesitation, the black haired boy briskly makes his way towards his best friend, grabbing him by the shoulders.

"Ruka, where have you been?" Natsume questions. Ruka glances away from Natsume's gaze, gently placing his hand over his friends wrists. "W-well..."

"He snuck out of the hospital."

Ruka's eyes snap wide open, turning to the side where the voice came from. In the main hallway stands Hotaru, Iinchō and Koko, along with Benjiro. Koko had the same usual grin as he seemed to stare into Ruka's mind.

" Many teachers gathered in the hospital yesterday...." Koko repeats, surprising everyone there. "They're all-!"

"They're all talking about Akako." Ruka finishes, this time, looking at everyone as their attention focuses on him. They wait in silence as Ruka deeply inhales. After one beat, his blue eyes blink harshly, preparing himself.

"Yesterday... Akako- Akako woke up."

///

'I can't move...